SQL Prompt 9.5.8.10521 Timeout notification windows

These windows just started popping up, they are modal windows and seems like when some timeout happens in sqlprompt they pop up, unless you close the window you can't do anything with SSMS. They are very annoying and making product unusable. Please add an option not to show these windows.
Tagged:

Answers

• Alex BAlex B Posts: 1,131 Diamond 4
    Hi @gvarol@corelogic.com,

Are you able to share a screenshot of one of these modal windows?  Is it asking you to report an error?

Since you are supported I can reach out via a support ticket if needed to get further information if you are not able to share it here.

Kind regards,
    Alex
    Product Support Engineer | Redgate Software

Have you visited our Help Center?
  • JoeGJoeG Posts: 1 New member
    Are you talking about this window?
    If yes, than I agree... these are annoying. I have tried to put the schema in the connection settings, but that doesn't help
  • Yes, that windows. Just started popping up left and right in this version of sqlprompt.
  • scollisscollis Posts: 31 Bronze 3
    I keep getting them as well. I'm accessing a database on a VPN - of course the caching is going to be slow, the database is over 1,500 kilometres away. My problem is I'm halfway through writing a query to check the logs and it stops me writing.

PLEASE give us a way to turn these notifications off, they're disastrous to my workflow!
    Hi All,

The team are working on improving this and I have passed your feedback on to them. 

Currently the only workaround is to downgrade to 9.5.7 (download here).

I will update here further when I have more information!

Kind regards,
    Alex

• ausuarioausuario Posts: 9 New member
    edited July 9, 2019 1:56PM
    Same here. This is being really disruptive for my day-to-day-work. We work with 3000 databases across the US and SQL prompt will not be happy with what I am doing on a general basis. And we are OK with that as after it does load, it helps us do our work faster. If I'm typing and in the middle of typing I get the "Slow cache time detected" message, then SQL prompt is slowing me down instead of helping me. 

I guess I'll have to downgrade per your message until you fix it. 
    Hi all,

The team have now released version 9.5.9 which will persist the dismissal until SQL Prompt is restarted.

• gvarol@corelogic.comgvarol@corelogic.com Posts: 90 Bronze 3
    edited July 10, 2019 4:41PM
    That did not fix the issue, I don't want to see this prompt at all. At points I have 8-9 ssms open using different projectcs on each and this popup is very annoying.
    edited July 10, 2019 6:18PM
    Edit: Below is a tentative mockup of what could be done (right now you are not giving us this option). 

(some example of what could be done). 

Yes, some of us don't want to be prompted this even if SQL Prompt is restarted again. I appreciate you letting us now that our "schema filtering could make SQL Prompt faster". I went ahead and "learned more" and then changed my settings. I don't want to keep being reminded again and again though. 

You already have something similar going where we can "skip this version" and not receive the upgrade notification every time we open SSMS. 
    edited July 10, 2019 5:34PM
    I have the latest version installed and not getting "Don't show this again" box.
    I have the latest version installed and not getting "Don't show this again" box.
    That box doesn't exist in the software currently, I just created that "mockup" as an example of how they could improve the box so that we will be able to choose to not show it again. 
    Hi All,

We have fed this back to the team and they are considering several options.  If anyone else has any feedback please do share and I'll pass it on!

Kind regards,
    Alex

• Dan_MCDan_MC Posts: 8 New member
    Ver 9.5.10.10741  Still has this issue .  very annoying.  Where is "Don't show this again" and again and again....
  • aixgroupaixgroup Posts: 1 New member
    Just turn this "Slow cache time detected adding schema filtering could make SQL Prompt faster" thing off until the fix goes in.  I'd be surprised if more than a handful of people will find this notification all that helpful.  It's certainly driving me insane by both stealing window focus from active work and popup window.  I'm constantly popping up new instances of SSMS and swatting this message away.

• mikeharaimikeharai Posts: 1 New member
    Adding my strong agreement.  I do a lot of work with Amazon RDS servers and they are a lot slower responding than our local data center servers.   Please fix this as soon as possible.
    aixgroup said:
    Just turn this "Slow cache time detected adding schema filtering could make SQL Prompt faster" thing off until the fix goes in.  I'd be surprised if more than a handful of people will find this notification all that helpful.  It's certainly driving me insane by both stealing window focus from active work and popup window.  I'm constantly popping up new instances of SSMS and swatting this message away.

I'm in agreement with recommending that you turn this off until you add the ability for us to disable the prompt. I am currently in the latest version that doesn't have the message (9.5.7.10212) because I open new instances of SSMS all the time. While this message exists, any other later versions provide less value to me as they disrupt the work when I try to query the servers (because the notification happens as we are typing). 
    (To all reading the posts and agreeing with us): 
    Please be sure to also vote for the feature here:
    https://redgate.uservoice.com/forums/94413-sql-prompt/suggestions/38116663-turn-off-notifications-such-as-slow-cached-time-d
    (To all reading the posts and agreeing with us): 
    Please be sure to also vote for the feature here:
    https://redgate.uservoice.com/forums/94413-sql-prompt/suggestions/38116663-turn-off-notifications-such-as-slow-cached-time-d
    edited July 31, 2019 1:44PM
    This has to go away. I am running version 9.5.12.10845 and I have to hit this dialog box hundreths times a day. We use ssms projects and have 8-10 different ssms windows open per user at any time, this is extremely unproductive. You are forcing us to uninstall the product.
    Thank you for the 19 votes on 

Looks like the fix is under review. 

I am personally on version 9.5.7.10212 which was the last version of SQL Prompt that did not include the notification windows. Currently, I'm skipping all versions until they add the ability for us to permanently ignore the windows. I don't think there would be enough value that would justify the time lost for the interruptions of the notifications on our particular setups (I understand people that work on 1 fast local database probably had no problems with this). 
  • Any update on this. This has been extremely time consuming for us.
  • Hi @gvarol@corelogic.com

Adding the ability to dismiss a notification forever is currently top of our backlog and we're hoping to have it shipped in the next release.

Thanks,

Tom
    Team Prompt
    Software Engineer for SQL Prompt
    Redgate Software
  • Can it be made than we can set a larger timeout if needed and it will not come up with a window in any case. Our servers are remote and metadata is fairly large, over few thousand tables plus views functions and more some having close to 1000 colums each and hundredths of tables with over 3000 partitions each, this is just one database, then there is synonyms etc to resolve. I dont even bother enabling check through linked server option anymore.
    I might be ok waiting 30 sec or so for it to refresh. A more precise refresh per server/db would be also helpful instead of refresh all. It would be nice to know when refresh is done and how long it took without a popup popup window.
  • Forgot to mention usually i have 4 or more seperate ssms running each to work on a different ssms project/solution. I am not sure how the caching works but it seem to be different ssms apps are not sharing the cache. Please consider also this scenario.
  • Hi everyone,

I'm pleased to say SQL Prompt 9.5.13 has just been released, which allows you to dismiss a notification forever. The next time you see "Slow cache time detected..." just click the 'x' and the product will never show that notification again.

You can download that version here.

Please get in touch if you have any other issues.

Thanks

Tom
    Team Prompt
    Software Engineer for SQL Prompt
    Redgate Software