Search button not appearing in SSMS

JonathanEJonathanE Posts: 5 New member
I have installed Search but can not find it in installed apps. If I try to install it gain it says it is already installed. I have the Redgate toolbar in SSMS with the buttons "Tab History", "SQL Test", and "SQL Source Control" but no Search button. Any help would be much appreciated

Best Answer

• Alex BAlex B Posts: 1,131 Diamond 4
    Hi @JonathanE,

Find Computer\HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Installer\Products\ in regedit.exe and search it just as done before for the Uninstall key, does it find any keys?

If so, please export and remove it as you did for the other key and then see if the installer succeeds.

Kind regards,
    Alex
    Product Support Engineer | Redgate Software

Have you visited our Help Center?

Answers

Hi @JonathanE,

That is very strange.  Are there files in "C:\Program Files (x86)\Red Gate\SQL Search 3"?

We have had some issue previously where people have uninstalled the application and there are no longer files in the installation folder, but registry entries were left behind that we check to see if the product is installed.

If there are no files in the above folder and the product is not shown in the installed Programs and Features to uninstall, then please try this:
    1. Open your registry (regedit) and locate this key: HKLM\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\{3A694908-5676-4AD4-B030-7FDF0806CB2A}
    2. Right-click on the key, choose to export it, and save the exported key to an accessible location
    3. Right-click on the key again and delete it
    4. Try running the installer again to see if it still thinks the tool is installed

Kind regards,
    Alex

• JonathanEJonathanE Posts: 5 New member
    Hi @Alex B,

There are files in "C:\Program Files (x86)\Red Gate\SQL Search 3":

RedGate.Logging.Interfaces.dll
    RedGate.Shared.SQL.dll
    RedGate.SharedSSMS.2018.dll
    RedGate.SharedSSMS.dll
    RedGate.SIPFramework.Services.dll
    Redgate.SIPFrameworkShared.dll
    Redgate.SQLSearch.SSMSPackage18.dll

Regards,

Jonathan
    Hi @JonathanE,

Hmm, there are several files missing compared to what I have:

So I wonder if it was interrupted while trying to uninstall, though odd for it to only remove that random subset of files...

If you move those files out of that folder into a backup directory and then export the key and delete it, does it let you reinstall SQL Search?

If so, do you then have all of the files above and the registry key recreated?

Kind regards,
    Alex

Hi @Alex B,

I do not see the key in the registry:
    HKLM\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\{3A694908-5676-4AD4-B030-7FDF0806CB2A}

Regards,

Jonathan
    Hi @JonathanE,

If you open Regedit.exe and navigate to 
    ​</code><code>Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\
    you should be able to right click on the Uninstall​ key and choose "Find" to start searching in that specific key:

If you search for "SQL Search 3" with only Data ticked

it should find the key relatively quickly then you can export the key (right click > export) to back it up and finally delete it.  You should then be able to install the tool again.
    ​​
    Kind regards,
    Alex

Hi @Alex B,

After doing those steps I try to install SQL Search and it says:

Regards,

Jonathan
    Hi @JonathanE,

If you left click on the redgate icon at the top left of the window, then choose "Open log file" it should hopefully give a bit more information on what the MSI error is.

Kind regards,
    Alex 

Hi @Alex B,

Please find attached the log file. I went to C:\Users\si559665\AppData\Local\Temp\{71199E42-1FA9-4BAC-8553-FBD2C58B642E}\INTERNAL_sql search_3.2.7.2379_x86.msi' and ran this but the message popped up:

"Another version of this product is already installed. Installation of this version cannot continue. To configure or remove the exiting version of this product, use Add/Remove Programs on the Control Panel."

The problem is this is not in Add/Remove Programs to uninstall. See png attachment.

Regards,

Jonathan