How do you use cloud databases? Take the survey.

Reports by email is not working

Hi

I have an issue with scheduled PDF-reports sent by email.
When I receive the email, the PDF files are "damaged". 

I can log in to SQL monitor, and generate the report manually with no problems. But I just can't schedule the reports.
(SQL Monitor is running on an IIS server)

How can I find out what's going wrong?

thanks,
Tagged:

Answers

• Russell DRussell D Posts: 1,324 Diamond 5
    edited February 27, 2019 10:38AM
    Corrupted pdfs is one problem, but you won't be able to schedule reports unless you've enabled application initialisation within IIS. See https://documentation.red-gate.com/sm9/reports/scheduling-emailed-reports. Get that working first then look at the pdfs.
    Have you visited our Help Centre?
  • JanusGjesagerJanusGjesager Posts: 6 New member
    I have checked, and we have Application initialisation installed and configured.
    - I can schedule reports (have been able to do that the whole time - sorry if that wasn't clear), but I can't open the pdf I receive, because it is damaged/corrupted
    I have checked, and we have Application initialisation installed and configured.
    - I can schedule reports (have been able to do that the whole time - sorry if that wasn't clear), but I can't open the pdf I receive, because it is damaged/corrupted
  • CoopsCoops Posts: 7 New member
    Having the same issue here. Reports are emailed OK on a schedule but the attached PDF is actually just a web page when opened in a text editor :

<div><!DOCTYPE html><br><html class="csstransforms3d csstransforms csstransitions background-color--grey--1"><br><br><head runat="server"><br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; <title><br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Log in<br></title></div>....

• Can you attach or send in the file as generated please?
    attached is a PDF that doen't work
    Don't know if it's related but I am seeing the following in the logs around the same time the report is generated:
    <div><br></div><div>2019-04-09 13:16:18,760 [&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; 83] WARN&nbsp; RedGate.SqlMonitor.Common.Utilities.UserAccountHelper - Error asking Active Directory for current user's principal name<br>System.InvalidCastException: Unable to cast object of type 'System.DirectoryServices.AccountManagement.GroupPrincipal' to type 'System.DirectoryServices.AccountManagement.UserPrincipal'.<br>&nbsp;&nbsp; at System.DirectoryServices.AccountManagement.UserPrincipal.FindByIdentity(PrincipalContext context, IdentityType identityType, String identityValue)<br>&nbsp;&nbsp; at System.DirectoryServices.AccountManagement.UserPrincipal.get_Current()<br>&nbsp;&nbsp; at RedGate.SqlMonitor.Common.Utilities.UserAccountHelper.GetUsernameFromAd()System.InvalidCastException: Unable to cast object of type 'System.DirectoryServices.AccountManagement.GroupPrincipal' to type 'System.DirectoryServices.AccountManagement.UserPrincipal'.<br>&nbsp;&nbsp; at System.DirectoryServices.AccountManagement.UserPrincipal.FindByIdentity(PrincipalContext context, IdentityType identityType, String identityValue)<br>&nbsp;&nbsp; at System.DirectoryServices.AccountManagement.UserPrincipal.get_Current()<br>&nbsp;&nbsp; at RedGate.SqlMonitor.Common.Utilities.UserAccountHelper.GetUsernameFromAd()</div>

I don't think that is related; but you see this every time you generate a report?
    edited April 9, 2019 1:57PM
    I see it around the time a report is generated by the schedule - I don't recall seeing it when manually generating a report. I will test that later today.

Yes i see it even if generating via the "Save as PDF" menu

2019-04-09 13:54:30,083 [&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; 60] WARN&nbsp; RedGate.SqlMonitor.UI.Website.Areas.Reports.Controllers.ReportController - Phantom JS info: New URL: http://localhost:19600/Reports/Report/PrintReport?Report=AG%20Performance%20v1&EndDate=1554818058970&Period=86400000<br>2019-04-09 13:54:30,520 [&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; 118] WARN&nbsp; RedGate.SqlMonitor.UI.Website.Areas.Reports.Controllers.ReportController - Phantom JS info: CONSOLE: JQMIGRATE: Migrate is installed, version 1.4.1 (from line # in "")<br>2019-04-09 13:54:32,422 [&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; 118] WARN&nbsp; RedGate.SqlMonitor.UI.Website.Areas.Reports.Controllers.ReportController - Phantom JS info: New URL: about:blank<br>2019-04-09 13:54:40,016 [&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; 60] WARN&nbsp; RedGate.SqlMonitor.Common.Utilities.UserAccountHelper - Error asking Active Directory for current user's principal name<br>System.InvalidCastException: Unable to cast object of type 'System.DirectoryServices.AccountManagement.GroupPrincipal' to type 'System.DirectoryServices.AccountManagement.UserPrincipal'.<br>&nbsp;&nbsp; at System.DirectoryServices.AccountManagement.UserPrincipal.FindByIdentity(PrincipalContext context, IdentityType identityType, String identityValue)<br>&nbsp;&nbsp; at System.DirectoryServices.AccountManagement.UserPrincipal.get_Current()<br>&nbsp;&nbsp; at RedGate.SqlMonitor.Common.Utilities.UserAccountHelper.GetUsernameFromAd()System.InvalidCastException: Unable to cast object of type 'System.DirectoryServices.AccountManagement.GroupPrincipal' to type 'System.DirectoryServices.AccountManagement.UserPrincipal'.<br>&nbsp;&nbsp; at System.DirectoryServices.AccountManagement.UserPrincipal.FindByIdentity(PrincipalContext context, IdentityType identityType, String identityValue)<br>&nbsp;&nbsp; at System.DirectoryServices.AccountManagement.UserPrincipal.get_Current()<br>&nbsp;&nbsp; at RedGate.SqlMonitor.Common.Utilities.UserAccountHelper.GetUsernameFromAd()

I haven't forgotten about this; it's taking time and I'll be honest we don't yet know whats causing it.
    Anything we can do to help debug this?
    Any update on this? It's still happening on 9.0.14 will install 9.0.18 today and see if it's any better.
    Are you using an SSL?
    No this is internal only and is running over HTTP. I can setup SSL if you think it might fix things?
    No if you're not using SSL then I don't think we'll have fixed things for you. We were getting corrupted reports (or failed entirely) when using SSL and we fixed that behaviour; we've had no luck reproducing this for non-SSL cases unfortunately. Can you get in touch via support?