Schema & suggestions

mp_mp_ Posts: 4 New member
When my tables names are unqualified (without schema) , SQL Prompt suggestions do not work. I have to qualify my table names with the schema to get suggestions.

Native intellisense works with unqualified table names on SSMS installation without  SQL Prompt.

For my environment, unqualified table names are the best.

Thanks!
Tagged:

Answers

• Hi mp_

Thanks for posting on the Redgate forums.

When using the correct database SQL Prompt will suggest table names when entering something like 

SELECT * FROM .... 

Without me needing to specify the schema.

Does the database you're seeing this issue on have multiple schemas? Could you confirm the version of SQL Monitor you are running, please?
    Kind regards,
    Dan Bainbridge
    Product Support Engineer | Redgate Software
  • mp_mp_ Posts: 4 New member

Hi...The database I'm using has the dbo schema plus another schema. When I connect via SSMS without SQL Prompt installed, intellisense works fine. But with SQL Prompt installed I have to preface the table with the schema to get the auto suggestions.

I'm not running SQL Monitor...just SQL Prompt, version 9.5.6.10002

• Testing with two schema's I still do get suggestions before specifying the schema. I've attached the screenshot of what I see on my test also with SQL Prompt 9.5.6.

Could you share what you are seeing vs what Intellisense shows you?

Kind regards,
    Dan Bainbridge
    I see that as well, but once I select a table auto suggestions stop if no schema specified on the table name.  
  • I think some screenshots of what you are/aren't seeing would really assist here as Prompt does suggest all the correct column names for me. If you would prefer you can send screenshots into support@red-gate.com

Kind regards,
    Dan Bainbridge
    Here's what I'm seeing. When selecting the table i get suggestions:

Without the schema prefix, no suggestions for column names:

with the schema prefix i get suggestions for column names: