SQL Prompt Smart Rename is an abysmal failure for me thus far? What is up with transactions??

I have to rename a field in a table. 

I've used Smart Rename thinking this will do the trick, but the script fails every time. 

It fails because the rename of the column on the table isn't "known" or "seen" by subsequent scripts to change views/sp's. 

It's all inside a giant transaction, and those items all fail, every single time. 

I see that 12 years ago Smart Rename had some issues, and they seem to still exist in the current version? 

I need help here - do I just take away the transaction (and again from 2007, there was to be a version where we could turn off using a transaction, but it doesn't exist yet) code?

Tagged:

Answers

• Eddie DEddie D Posts: 1,780 Rose Gold 5
    Hi Marko68, thank you for your forum post.

What version of SQL Prompt are you using?

When running the Smart Rename feature, in step 2 of the wizard report any warnings and highlight dependent objects?

Many Thanks
    Eddie
    Eddie Davis
    Senior Product Support Engineer
    Redgate Software Ltd
    Email: support@red-gate.com
  • Marko68Marko68 Posts: 5 New member
    The most recent. I just downloaded it the same day. 

No. No issues. 
  • Eddie DEddie D Posts: 1,780 Rose Gold 5
    Hi Marko68,
    Thank you for your reply.

A support ticket has been created for you, I will send the details of which via a private message.  It appears that, SQL Prompt is not detecting the dependencies on the table and column you wish to rename and this will require further investigation.

Many Thanks
    Eddie 
    Eddie Davis
    Senior Product Support Engineer
    Redgate Software Ltd
    Email: support@red-gate.com