Options

SQL Backup compatibility with Windows Server 2016 Core

p_r_kellyp_r_kelly Posts: 6 New member
Hi there,
I would like to install SQL Backup on Windows Server 2016 Core servers; is this compatible?
i see Windows 2016 Server as supported - but not clear if this also includes the Core (i.e. no GUI) version of the OS?
Thanks,
Paul
Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    have spun up a test VM and SQL Backup 10 has installed fine on Windows Server 2016 Core - have not yet tested the functionality :)
  • Options
    Russell DRussell D Posts: 1,324 Diamond 5
    Hi Paul, we don't officially support Core versions. I'll see if we're happy changing this.
    Have you visited our Help Centre?
  • Options
    Thanks Russell - FYI - initial tests of functionality have been positive; could do with the supported/not-supported answer asap as it would require a server rebuild if we need to back-track to Windows 2016 GUI,
    cheers!
  • Options
    edited May 9, 2019 11:59AM
    I asked the question: we have no plans to introduce Support for core editions of Windows I'm afraid.
  • Options
    That is disappointing. the majority of our future state infrastructure is based upon Windows Server 2016 Core. Is there anyone at Redgate we can escalate this issue to?
    thanks
  • Options
    edited May 9, 2019 2:21PM
    We've had a subsequent chat about this, and I think our stance is that we'll try to fix problems with it if you find any, we just don't guarantee that you won't, and can't promise that any required fixes would be quick or easy.

We would need to significantly add to our testing infrastructure - at the very least - to really Support this which we're not able to confidently say there is much customer interest for.

I hope this helps.
  • Options
    Thanks Russel