Options

SSMS 18.0 support?

I've read that that SQL Source Control is supposed to support SSMS 18, but I've just downloaded the latest version installer of SQL Source Control and the GA release of SSMS 18.0, and it doesn't show up.

Is it officially supported yet?

(Using Windows Server 2012, if that makes any difference.)
Tagged:

Best Answers

• Options
    foolyfooly Posts: 3 New member
    Answer ✓
    Didn't appear in any of the tools menus, but I managed to fix it.

For anyone else reading this, I had two side-by-side installations of SSMS (17 and 18). To get it to work in 18, I took these steps:
    1. Open the old version of SSMS (where SQL Source Control still works)
    2. Enabled "frequent updates"
    3. Updated SQL Source control
    4. Searched for updates
    5. Updated to the latest version
    6. It now appeared in SSMS 18
  • Options
    Russell DRussell D Posts: 1,324 Diamond 5
    Answer ✓
    Yes that makes sense. Unfortunately we've had issues with SSMS 18 as I'm sure you've seen. Sorry for the inconvenience caused. This is still something I haven't been able to reproduce, even on my dev box which is about as far from a clean environment as you can get. It just works, every time.
    Have you visited our Help Centre?

Answers

• Options
    SQL Source Control is officially supported on SSMS 18.0 and it should appear just as it does in other versions of SSMS. It should be in the tools menu if it doesn't appear on startup.
  • Options
    Russell DRussell D Posts: 1,324 Diamond 5
    Install order is also important - prior to getting this working, when you installed SSMS 18 did you then install SoC, or just install SSMS and expect SoC to be there?
  • Options
    foolyfooly Posts: 3 New member
    No, I didn't initially expect it to just be there, but I got confused as there are no options to reinstall the software via the provided installers - everything remains grayed out even if a new version of SSMS has been installed. I didn't want to risk going through the pain of uninstalling via control panel and reinstalling the software (and thereby losing all my settings) on the off-chance that install order was the issue, but I was able to essentially reinstall the software and keep my settings intact by updating it via the frequent updates settings (if that makes sense).
  • Options
    LucianLucian Posts: 5 Bronze 1
    I updated SSMS to 18.3.1 and now the Source Control add-on is not visible anymore... how can I fix this? Thanks!
  • Options
    You might need to reinstall Source Control after updating SSMS.
  • Options
    LucianLucian Posts: 5 Bronze 1
    Thanks Russell. That worked but it's kind of stupid...
  • Options
    Unfortunately there is little we can do, its a common problem with plugins in SSMS.