Visual Studio 2019 compatibility for SQL Change Automation?

With the VS2019 Release Candidate out (https://devblogs.microsoft.com/visualstudio/visual-studio-2019-release-candidate-rc-now-available/), do you have a timeline for making a compatible version of SQL Change Automation for testing?  I do not see it in the list of available extensions in VS2019.

Thanks!
Shawn
Tagged:

Comments

• Hi Shawn,

We are hoping to have SQL Change Automation compatible by the VS2019 general availability date, April 2nd.

Jack.
  • shawnpaigeshawnpaige Posts: 4 New member
    Thanks for the information!
  • Shawn,

I thought I would let you know, the extension is now compatible with VS2019! 
  • ChrisKaczorChrisKaczor Posts: 8 New member
    Is it going to be included in Visual Studio 2019 Enterprise like it was for 2017?
  • arturcarvalhoarturcarvalho Posts: 5 New member
    I have installed VS 2019 Enterprise and  SQL Change Automation is asking for a licence. This mean it won't be included in VS 2019 Enterprise??
  • SQL Change Automation Core is only available in VS 2017 Enterprise edition. All other supported versions of Visual Studio will require a licence when the trial period has ended. So yes - while VS 2019 Enterprise is supported, you must purchase a licence.
    Mikiel Agutu | Software Engineer | Redgate Software
  • Jason_HJason_H Posts: 3 New member
    I gotta say that is really disappointing. We finally got all of our projects setup in TFS to automatically build and deploy, and got buy in from our data services and app dev teams, only to find out that it is being discontinued. Was that the plan the entire time? To add it to visual studio as free, get people to adopt it, then once they depend on it take away the free version?
    I have installed VS 2019, alonside VS2017. Now in VS2017 Enterprise SQL Change Automation have a mesage that it's in trial???
  • Jason_HJason_H Posts: 3 New member
    I have both installed, but I didn't start a trial for 2019. I assume once your trial expires it will still work in 2017, but 2019 will not.
    Jason_H said:
    I have both installed, but I didn't start a trial for 2019. I assume once your trial expires it will still work in 2017, but 2019 will not.
    I am assuming also... but i would like a confirmation from Redgate... 
  • Jason_H said:
    I am assuming also... but i would like a confirmation from Redgate... 

Yes, you should still be able to use SQL Change Automation Core in Visual Studio 2017 Enterprise once the trial has ended. However keep in mind you will revert to Core edition, and as such not all features are supported.

You will need to buy a license to use it in any version of Visual Studio 2019 once the trial has ended.

I hope that helps.
    Mikiel Agutu | Software Engineer | Redgate Software