Not Automatically reconnecting restored tabs

JustJayJustJay Posts: 9 Bronze 2
edited November 15, 2016 6:11PM in SQL Prompt
Hi, I am using SQL Prompt 7.2.4.291. Recently, I noticed that my tabs are not reconnecting when I reopen SSMS. Tabs connnected using SQL Server Auth seem to be working ok, but the tab where I was connected using Windows Auth are not reconnecting to the server they were connected to when I closed SSMS. I have validated that the "Automatically reconnect restored tabs" checkbox is checked, but it's not working. This used to work for me, but hasn't been working recently. Is there something else I need to do?

Thanks,
Jana
Tagged:

Comments

• Aaron LAaron L Posts: 596 New member
    Hi Jana,

We're looking into this now but it seems to be working ok for us here so we might need some more details to help track down what's going wrong.

If you just have a single tab opened against a server using Windows Auth with just "SELECT 1" in the query, then close SSMS and reopen it does it reconnect it for you?

If it doesn't reconnect could you try enabling verbose logging and then repeat the steps of opening a tab, closing/opening SSMS then look in the log file. Hopefully there should be an entry similar to "Failed to reconnect document (ID = x)" or "An error occurred while reconnecting tabs" in the log which will shed some more light on what's gone wrong.

Thanks,
    Aaron.
  • Hi Aaron,

This is still happening for me. I sent you a PM a couple of weeks ago, but I'm not sure you see those. As you suggested, I tried just one simple query window and that did successfully reconnect when I reopened. Then I tried 2 simple query windows. The first one reconnects, but the 2nd one doesn't. Both were connected via Windows Auth when I closed SSMS. I don't see anything about a reconnection failure. I can send you the log file, but it is too many characters for this message.

At first, I thought it was related to Windows Auth vs SQL Auth, but now that I've been playing with it a bit and watching more closely, I no longer think the method of auth matters. All my tests this morning were with Windows Auth tabs and each time, only one tab reconnected when I closed/reopened SSMS.

I don't know how SSMS decides which tab to reopen first, but it looks like it is consistently reconnecting the tab that is reopened the furthest to the right. However, the tabs are not always in the same order that I opened them originally nor in the same order as they were when I closed SSMS.

I checked the log file a couple of times in the midst of my testing and it never had anything in it about reconnecting.

Do I need to uninstall and reinstall SQL Prompt?

Thanks,
    Jana
  • Aaron LAaron L Posts: 596 New member
    Hi Jana,

Apologies - I had missed your PM.

We're still struggling to reproduce this here, at least without triggering something in the logs due to a failed connection attempt. So unfortunately we're not sure what might be causing it. Can you think of anything else that we might need to reproduce this? Eg has the server you're connecting to changed since it stopped working?

Another thing to check would be if you open a closed tab using the tab history button (or Ctrl+Q) is the newly opened tab reconnected?

Thanks,
    Aaron.
  • JustJayJustJay Posts: 9 Bronze 2
    Hi Aaron,

Opening a tab from the Tab History seems to be working just fine.

I can guarantee nothing changed on our servers, but I don't know of anything. I may try uninstalling and reinstalling SQL Prompt.

Thanks,
    Jana
  • Hi Aron,
    Hi Jana,

I'm facing the same issue. Tabs won't be reconnected after starting SSMS. In my opinion I have a clue what might cause the issue. The issue occurred the first time after installing an SSMS extension from another vendor - in my case ApexSQL Search. After uninstalling ApexSQL Search the tabs started to be reconnected after starting SSMS again. I installed ApexSQL Search again - the tabs stopped to be reconnected, uninstalled ApexSQL Search - no issue anymore. (I tried other free extensions from ApexSQL, e.g. ApexSQL Compare, - same issue.)
    Maybe red-gate is able to reproduce the issue now.

BR
    Michael
  • Anu DAnu D Posts: 876 Silver 3
    Hi Michael,

Thanks for your post!

We are looking into the issue you reported and will have some update on where the problem lies.

Anuradha Deshpande
    Product Support
    Redgate Software Ltd.
    E-mail: support@red-gate.com
  • HrvojeHrvoje Posts: 9 New member
    edited March 25, 2018 12:05AM
    I am using SQL Prompt 9.1.4.4532 with SSMS v17.6 and automatic tab reconnect is still not working.

• HrvojeHrvoje Posts: 9 New member
    edited March 25, 2018 12:39AM
    This is still not working.
    I have SSMS v17.6 and SQL Prompt v9.1.4.4532.

Instead of reconnecting he prompts me with connection window in which there are different username and pass, not the one that was used previously for that tab. It seems like he is clashing with the SSMS functionality.

Functionality for automatic reconnect is very much desired, otherwise, you need to copy the content of all open tabs to new tabs with the connection, or reconnect manually in which case you need to reenter username and pass.
  • RichardLRichardL Posts: 417 Gold 4
    Hi @Hrvoje

Thanks for your post. 

Can you check to see if this is still an issue on the latest version? 
    It is available for download below. 

ftp://support.red-gate.com/patches/SQLPrompt/28Mar2018/SQLPrompt_9.1.5.4619.exe

Kind regards

Richard Lynch. 
    Customer Support
    Redgate Software
  • Williamsc29Williamsc29 Posts: 2 New member
    flhsdlds said:
    Hi Aron,
    Hi Jana,

I'm facing the same issue. Tabs won't be reconnected after starting SSMS. In my opinion I have a clue what might cause the issue. The issue occurred the first time after installing an SSMS extension from another vendor - in my case ApexSQL Search. After uninstalling ApexSQL Search the tabs started to be reconnected after starting SSMS again. I installed ApexSQL Search again - the tabs stopped to be reconnected, uninstalled ApexSQL Search - no issue anymore. (I tried other free extensions from ApexSQL, e.g. ApexSQL Compare, - same issue.)
    Maybe red-gate is able to reproduce the issue now.

BR
    Michael
    I've been having this same issue for a while now, and yes I had ApexSQL Search installed.  After uninstalling it, my tabs are automatically reconnecting again.  My version is 9.2.4.6028
    Hi @flhsdlds & @Williamsc29

Thank you for your posts. 

Please note that these forums are intended to help people using Redgate products, not products of other companies. 

Kind regards

Richard Lynch. 
    Customer Support
    Redgate Software
  • Williamsc29Williamsc29 Posts: 2 New member
    RichardL said:
    Hi @flhsdlds & @Williamsc29

Thank you for your posts. 

Please note that these forums are intended to help people using Redgate products, not products of other companies. 

Kind regards

Richard Lynch. 
    Perhaps you've misunderstood what we're saying. SQL Prompt isn't working properly when this other plug-in (ApexSQL Search) is also installed.  We're trying to help you reproduce an issue with SQL Prompt.  When we uninstall this other plug-in SQL Prompt begins working properly again.  So what we are doing is trying to help with Redgate products.
    Hi @Williamsc29

I had misunderstood. Thanks for clarifying! 

Best

Richard. 
    Customer Support
    Redgate Software
    I agree with  @flhsdlds  & @Williamsc29.  Uninstalling the other plug-in resolved the issue with SQL Prompt. Something about these plug-ins doesn't work right together. 
    I agree with  @flhsdlds  & @Williamsc29.  Uninstalling the other plug-in resolved the issue with SQL Prompt. Something about these plug-ins doesn't work right together. 
  • I'm having this same problem (SQL Prompt 9.4.16.9097), but I don't have any other extensions installed (that I know of) except other Red-Gate products.  This forum has been quite for 8 months.  Any news on this issue?

• JustJay said:
    Yeah ApexSQL actively tries to block how Redgate products hook into SSMS, there is nothing we can really do about that uncompetitive practice unfortunately.
    Have you visited our Help Centre?
  • I'm having this same problem (SQL Prompt 9.4.16.9097), but I don't have any other extensions installed (that I know of) except other Red-Gate products.  This forum has been quite for 8 months.  Any news on this issue?

Please enable verbose logging, restart SSMS, reproduce the issue and then attach or send in the log file.
  • doowrucdoowruc Posts: 20 Bronze 1
    I am getting the same issue with SQL Prompt 9.5.3.9640 and SSMS 18 (15.0.18118.0)

I have attached 2 redacted log files:

The first log is starting with an empty SSMS, creating 2 new queries, connecting to 2 different servers, executing the queries, then exiting

The second log is re-opening SSMS, the 2 tabs are re-opened but do not reconnect.
    Russell D said:

Please enable verbose logging, restart SSMS, reproduce the issue and then attach or send in the log file.
    Hi any update on this - I attached my logs on May 15th, see previous post
  • Russell DRussell D Posts: 1,324 Diamond 5
    I'm afraid its still under investigation. SP-7580 for reference.
    Russell D said:
    I'm afraid its still under investigation. SP-7580 for reference.
    Thanks Russell - is that issue log available publicly anywhere, for keeping a track on it?
  • Russell DRussell D Posts: 1,324 Diamond 5
    Unfortunately our issue trackers are all internal. The reference can only really help speed up enquiries.
    Russell D said:
    Unfortunately our issue trackers are all internal. The reference can only really help speed up enquiries.
    Ah, I see. Will you be monitoring and updating this thread with progress?
  • JoklbashJoklbash Posts: 2 Bronze 1
    I'm having the same issue, although it looks to be happening with SSMS 18 only. I have both installed and SSMS 17 works ok. I have SSMS 18 and SQL Prompt on 2 other machines and reconnecting does not work on those either.
  • ahdungahdung Posts: 28 Bronze 2
    I have same problem, and I'm not have any ApexSQL thing, ssms 18.0 + sql prompt 9.5.5.9830
  • @Joklbash Are you on the latest version of SQL Prompt? If so this is a different bug which we've logged as SP-7650. 
    @ahdung Sorry for hitting this bug SP-7650. 
    I'll keep you both posted once I have more information.
    Kind regards

Tianjiao Li | Redgate Software
    Have you visited our Help Center?
  • JoklbashJoklbash Posts: 2 Bronze 1
    @Tianjiao_Li
    I'm running 9.5.5.9830 SQL Prompt. I have SQL Search installed. No other addons in SSMS.
  • @Joklbash

Thanks for confirming. I'll let you know once there is further update regarding this issue (SP-7650). So sorry for the inconvenience caused. 
    Kind regards

Tianjiao Li | Redgate Software
    Have you visited our Help Center?
  • ahdungahdung Posts: 28 Bronze 2
    edited June 5, 2019 8:14AM
    @Tianjiao_Li How to get the information of SP-XXXX please?