Is it not possible to analyse memory dumps?

floelefloele Posts: 2
edited August 27, 2015 5:12AM in ANTS Memory Profiler
Hi,

I wanted to analyse a memory dump made on a production system using your tool, but it seems like that is not supported. Debug Diag can do that, but it doesn't give a lot of information so I hoped I could use your tool. Is that not possible? Is it planned?
Otherwise it's quite impossible to check what is going on on production systems.

Best regards,
Florian
Tagged:

Comments

• Jessica RJessica R Posts: 1,319 Rose Gold 4
    Hi Florian,

I'm afraid that the memory profiler cannot analyze .dmp files. We do have a feature request for this though with internal reference MP-1865, and I've +1'd this on your behalf--many thanks for the feedback!

In order to get information about the memory with our profiler, you need to install the profiler locally and take memory snapshots from there.

To see how the type of information you get from snapshots, kindly take a look at the walkthrough here: http://www.red-gate.com/products/dotnet ... alkthrough

Sorry to not have better news! Please let us know if you have any further questions.

Jessica Ramos | Product Support Engineer | Redgate Software

Have you visited our Help Center?

• This is a real shame - this would be a highly valuable feature. It's not always practical or even possible to install your profiler on a production machine and our only option is to take memory dumps. However, using WinDbg is a real pain and I've yet to successfully install it on any machine. I see one of your competitors, SciTech, has a product that can read dump files. I think RedGate should seriously consider this feature.
  • rakker91rakker91 Posts: 1 New member
    Wow, this still isn't available? Other tools (like jetbrains dot memory) do have the ability. I expected it to be there by now.
  • Hi @rakker91

Thanks for your post.

Just to let you know that this feature is going to arrive in ANTS Memory Profiler 9.1 but we don't have the exact time frame on that just yet.
    Customer Support
    Redgate Software
  • perghpergh Posts: 1 New member
    edited March 28, 2019 1:06PM
    RichardL said:
    Hi @rakker91

Thanks for your post.

Just to let you know that this feature is going to arrive in ANTS Memory Profiler 9.1 but we don't have the exact time frame on that just yet.
    Sorry for necroing this thread, but version 10.1 has been released, and this feature is still not included as far as I can see.

And yes, we just bought ANTS to dissect a particularly elusive bug, and we now have to resort to installing ANTS in the test environment in the hope the situation will resurface.

Please add my +1 to this feature request.
  • Russell DRussell D Posts: 1,324 Diamond 5
    edited June 17, 2019 9:42AM
    @pergh this is now available, but its in 10.2: https://documentation.red-gate.com/amp10/release-notes-and-other-versions/ants-memory-profiler-10-2-release-notes.

The 9.1 written above was wrong - it had always been scheduled for 10.1. Some other work unfortunately pushed it back to 10.2 but its now available and we'd appreciate any feedback. As a consequence as well I'll move this to the current forum.
    Have you visited our Help Centre?