Trialing Ant's on IIS with several WebSites

Hi,

I currently have an extremly large asp.net site on my PC, this is broken down to several seperate WebSites in IIS and they all run on Port80. When working on them, I will stop and start one as needed.

When I try to use Ants Profiler, it seems to only want to try and start the default website that contains pretty much no information. How do I get Ants to profile my other sites?

Cheers
Dan

Comments

• Brian DonahueBrian Donahue Posts: 6,590 Bronze 1
    Hi Dan,

I think that more than likely you're not getting profiling results fro the website because it's not running in the default application pool. ANTS Profiler can only profile the default app pool in the current version. In the next version, it will profile any application pool.
  • I turned IIS WebSites back to using IIS5 worker process. Everything still work fine including the sites and VisualStudio etc.

When I use Ants I now recieve an error saying that it can't get a responce from Port80, in the error log there is a std message saying "System.Exception: Timed out waiting for port 80 to become available" + stack trace. There is no entery for the W3SVC process however if I then try to start the site manually or access say VS, the site will not start and an error will go in the System log saying "The World Wide Web Publishing Service is exiting due to an error. The data field contains the error number."

It looks like it is somehow breaking the W3SVC service and stops it working atall?

Using W2k3SVR + IIS6 (in IIS5 worker process mode).
    Rgds
    Dan
    Hi Dan,

Maybe it would be useful to post the error number that you get in the system log when IIS fails to start.
  • It appears to be 80070002 if that's any help.

I'm not sure if i'll continue to try and get it working as it should really work out of the box on a std windows 2003 svr install considering the cost of the product is almost half the cost of a VS2003 professional license and there is a free alternative with almost the exact same functionality.

Thanks
    Hi Dan,

Sure enough, we have managed to reproduce the problem here in-house, and it also seems to affect the version 2 Beta as well. We'll post a fix action whenever we come up with one.
  • Hi Ray,

Profiler version 2 has full support for IIS 6, including app pools. I believe this topic covered only the older 1.3 version.
    Profiler 2.5 should work much better with IIS 6.

There is still a leftover requirement that the DefaultAppPool is present, though. It's not necessary that your application runs in the default application pool, but ANTS Profiler still gets information about IIS by querying the IIS metabase for the DefaultAppPool configuration.
This discussion has been closed.