Tooltip placement for dual monitors

ggeierggeier Posts: 30 Bronze 2
Is there a way to force a tool-tip to be placed on the same monitor when hovering over a function/column/etc. with the mouse? The issue I'm experiencing is the tool-tip often displays on my other monitor, this makes it hard to read and impossible to click on. If I hover to the left to click on the tool-tip, it immediately goes away.

Below is a screenshot of how it sometimes looks:

If I play around with it I can get it to display on the same monitor:

Tagged:

Answers

• Alex BAlex B Posts: 1,131 Diamond 4
    Hi @ggeier,

I can see this happening as well as well - I had to remove the object explorer and get the object I was mousing over to the left of the editor window so that part of the popup would appear on the other screen.

As you have seen, to avoid this you need to make sure none of the popup will run over onto the other monitor or alternatively put the SSMS window on the left monitor so the popup hits the left edge of all desktops.

I've escalated this to the development team and will come back to you with further information.

Kind regards,
    Alex
    Product Support Engineer | Redgate Software

Have you visited our Help Center?
  • Alex BAlex B Posts: 1,131 Diamond 4
    Hi @ggeier,

I've raised this with the team as SP-7511 but they have indicated that it is low priority at the moment and is not likely to be fixed in the near future.

In the meantime, you can work around the issue as stated above and/or as you've seen with indentation.

Kind regards,
    Alex
    Product Support Engineer | Redgate Software

Have you visited our Help Center?
  • ggeierggeier Posts: 30 Bronze 2
    Thanks for reporting this issue and getting it logged.
  • SimonBarnesSimonBarnes Posts: 6 New member
    I'd like to add my voice to this — the few seconds you lose each time it happens do add up. Been driving me up the wall for years, it's so annoying to have your productivity tool get in the way of your workflow. The SQL Prompt tooltip appears to work in the opposite way to Microsoft's tooltips, appearing to the left of the cursor instead of the right, so I think the vast majority of instances of this happening could be sorted by just changing the tooltip to appear on the right of the cursor (as SQL is coded LTR, so even if you don't add something to specifically handle display edges the issue would then only occur on an extremely long line that had reached the right-hand side of the display, assuming a maximised/fullscreen SSMS window).

Any way you could add a note suggesting this, to at least get just the directionality fixed in the near future (I'd hope it'd be a one-line change) and leave fixing the multiple-displays issue on the backlog?
  • LAkersLAkers Posts: 1 New member
    I've been experiencing this annoyance for several years / versions of SQL Prompt now and it is extremely annoying. If I recall correctly 4 or 5 years ago the SQL Prompt tooltips appeared on the same screen and this wasn't an issue. I don't even remember what version it started on, but I think it was around the time that the Tab History feature went from a free tool in beta to being integrated with the paid SQL Prompt product.  I do remember spending several hours searching google for a solution or even others experiencing the same issue when this first started happening and again a couple years ago, and both times I really came back with little to nothing.  I started to think it was something just with my specific setup, but today after installing a new major version (10.0.10.13591) of SQL Prompt in hopes that the issue would have been fixed, but alas it wasn't, but I did find this post when googling for solutions so now I at least feel validated knowing I'm not alone.

Hopefully someone see's this and if nothing else is able to implement the code change SimonBarnes suggested above, to just shift the tooltip from displaying to the left of the cursor to displaying to the right of the cursor.
  • jallisonjallison Posts: 2 New member
    Still an issue :'-(