Converting SQL Prompt Styles from V7 to V9

DevOpsGSCDevOpsGSC Posts: 5 New member
edited February 25, 2019 10:01AM in SQL Prompt
Is there an option to upgrade a SQL Prompt Style from V7 to V9? 
I recently changed roles and would like to retain the settings I had from V7 and trying to emulate the same style in V9 is very time consuming.
I checked the other forums but only found a "converter tool" discussion from V8 to V9.  The converter tool mentioned was never offered as a solution, rather it was run on behalf of the OP.

Having reviewed the settings and contents, it appears to conform to an XML schema - I would welcome whatever process used to upgrade, PowerShell?

I have attached the settings and prompt style.

Best Answer

Answers

• If you place the old style in the style folder before upgrading SQL Prompt, it will be auto-converted. 

It sounds like you need to import old styles post-upgrade, there is a roundabout manner to make this happen: ‘Downgrade’ to SQL Prompt v7, place the style in the style folder, then upgrade again, at which point it will be auto-converted.

Kind regards

Tianjiao Li | Redgate Software
    Have you visited our Help Center?
  • DevOpsGSCDevOpsGSC Posts: 5 New member
    edited February 25, 2019 9:30AM
    Did as you said, nothing was upgraded, converted or changed.  Even the file types and timestamps did not alter.  Can you not just provide the executable to convert the settings on this forum?
  • That's odd. I've attached the console app. However, please bear in mind that it hasn't been kept up to date as it was normally not needed. 

If you can attach your old style file, we can have a look for you. 
    Kind regards

That's odd. I've attached the console app. However, please bear in mind that it hasn't been kept up to date as it was normally not needed. 

If you can attach your old style file, we can have a look for you. 
    Please find attached style needed for upgrade.

• @DevOpsGSC

It's good to know the converted style is working for you now. In case it might be useful for future cases, this is how I did it:

1- uninstall Prompt and make sure any SQL Prompt folder is removed (can save them somewhere else in case need them later) from C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Local\Red Gate (this is important!)
    2- install Prompt 7, and place the style file in C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Local\Red Gate\SQL Prompt 7\Styles
    3- upgrade to Prompt 8, and check the style file was converted to C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Local\Red Gate\SQL Prompt 8\StylesV2 (this step might not be needed, but just wanted to be on the safe side)
    4- upgrade to Prompt 9, and check the style file was converted to C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Local\Red Gate\SQL Prompt 9\StylesV2
    5- checked the converted style file is working in Prompt 9
    Kind regards

@DevOpsGSC

It's good to know the converted style is working for you now. In case it might be useful for future cases, this is how I did it:

1- uninstall Prompt and make sure any SQL Prompt folder is removed (can save them somewhere else in case need them later) from C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Local\Red Gate (this is important!)
    2- install Prompt 7, and place the style file in C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Local\Red Gate\SQL Prompt 7\Styles
    3- upgrade to Prompt 8, and check the style file was converted to C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Local\Red Gate\SQL Prompt 8\StylesV2 (this step might not be needed, but just wanted to be on the safe side)
    4- upgrade to Prompt 9, and check the style file was converted to C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Local\Red Gate\SQL Prompt 9\StylesV2
    5- checked the converted style file is working in Prompt 9
    Thank you for your input, whilst I appreciate the efforts and capturing the repro steps; this would be too much to ask of an end user to achieve an upgrade that should be implicit and reverse engineer-able. (IMHO)

I did try these steps myself, without success (albeit the folder removal process was skipped) - and to then ask to repeat said process (uninstall, install, repeat) is again IMO something that should be offered without altering someones setup or software ideally a console app or Powershell script.

Some feedback

Ask yourself "What happens if person x from company y wants to achieve the same or similar" - you have to do this n times where n could be 1000, do you want to do that 1000 times or provide a single solution?

Thanks again for doing the process on my behalf and getting my styles upgraded.