Ignore rules - documentation on possible expressions

josefattard22josefattard22 Posts: 2 New member
edited February 14, 2019 1:30PM in Source Control for Oracle
Update:
just found this link https://documentation.red-gate.com/sco5/setting-up-the-comparison/using-ignore-rules/ignore-rules-syntax-and-examples

All I need to know is the filter expression that I should use in order to ignore all objects for a particular object type.  I tried \!. but does not seem to work

Many thanks

===========
Is there a documentation on the expressions that may be used in the ignore rules?

What is the expression in order to ignore all objects? 

If I have to commit procedure A and procedure B should they be listed separated by commas?

I already configured the post-filters in order to exclude certain kind of objects but I need to further target specific objects by name so that the refresh and check-in can be executed in a matter of seconds and not minutes.  For this use case my understanding is that we should use the ignore filters in order to restrict the refresh activity on specific objects.

Many thanks

Josef

Tagged:

Answers

• Hi Josef,

\!. should work.

However, there's a bug in the tool that results in changes to the ignore filter not being effective unless you completely close the tool.

I suggest you try the following:

1 - Edit the ignore filter and save it
    2 - Close Schema Compare for Oracle
    3 - Re-open it, and before doing any comparison, go to the ignore filter tab and make sure that the filter is correct (you might have to load it)
    4 - Press the Compare Now button on the ignore filter tab

Kind Regards,
    Sergio
    Product Support Engineer
    Redgate Software Ltd
    Please see our Help Center for detailed guides on how to use our tools
  • josefattard22josefattard22 Posts: 2 New member
    edited February 16, 2019 8:10PM
    Hi Sergio,

thanks for your reply.  I am actually using the source control utility in order to automate check-ins from a shared database to the subversion repository... and not schema compare utility.  I need to target the check-ins of specific database objects by name so that the refresh activity of a source control project will be instant.  I have now realised that the link which I pastied above actually belongs to the schema compare utility.  Can this syntax be applied to the 'ignore rules' (see attached) of source control for oracle client?

I have another question if I may; out of curiosity, apart from the client of the oracle suite, can redgate be integrated to an ide such as Toad or Sql Developer?  I am informed that you do provide a plugin for SQL server.  Do you have something similar for clients related to an Oracle database?

Kind regards,

Josef
  • Hi Josef,

Yes, the same rule should work in Source Control for Oracle.

Neither Schema Compare for Oracle nor Source Control for Oracle can be integrated into IDE's, they are standalone tools only. We don't have any tool that can currently.

Kind Regards,
    Sergio
    Sergio
    Product Support Engineer
    Redgate Software Ltd
    Please see our Help Center for detailed guides on how to use our tools
  • mbruegelmbruegel Posts: 43 Bronze 2
    I'm also having issues w/ the new ignore filter in Source Control for Oracle v. 5.2.4.1926

Specifying multiple object names in the ignore pre-filter rule doesn't appear to work properly:

For a positive include I've tried the following combinations:
    "+OBJECT_1_NAME$","+OBJECT_2_NAME$"
    "^OBJECT_1_NAME$","^OBJECT_2_NAME$"
    OBJECT_1_NAME,OBJECT_2_NAME

For a negative exclude I've tried:
    \!OBJECT_1_NAME, \!OBJECT_2_NAME
    \!OBJECT_1_NAME, \&\!OBJECT_2_NAME

Nothing appears to produce the desired result.  In each case the filter appears to catch only a single object.
    Help would be much appreciated.

I also note that in one of the screenshots in the documentation, there appears to be the use of brackets [] in the filter.  I've tried using both brackets [] and parentheses () as a grouping mechanism, but bot produce errors (invalid syntax).
  • JonJJonJ Posts: 1 New member
    All I need to know is the filter expression that I should use in order to ignore all objects for a particular object type.  I tried \!. but does not seem to work
    use this:     \!.*

The documentation wasn't / still isn't well QA'd.  C'mon RedGate! It's been a year and it's not like it's freeware.

I ran into the same problem, then formed the expression like this:   \!.*  and it worked to negate everything as expected.  The wildcard dot (.) only matches one character- adding an asterisk (*) matches zero or more occurrences of the preceding element (match everything).

I hope this helps someone.

Kind Regards,
    Jon
  • mbruegelmbruegel Posts: 43 Bronze 2
    In the 5.6.2 product version(s) I've found that the \!. works to exclude all objects.

The tricky thing is multiple excludes for named objects (need to use the and \& vs a comma):
    e.g. the following syntax appears to work:
    \!<object1 name pattern>\&\!<object2 name pattern>\&\!<objectN name pattern>

Where as this doesn't:
    \!<object1 name pattern>, \!<object2 name pattern>, \!<objectN name pattern>

Documentation needs to be updated with appropriate syntax and examples.