3 Bugs in SQL Compare

ben604ben604 Posts: 3
edited February 21, 2007 5:53AM in SQL Compare Previous Versions
Hi

First Off, great product, but below is 3 items that has been causing some problems for us.

1 - If a Index on the target DB has the same name as a Statistic on the Source,
it tries to create the statistic on the target without realising there is already an index with the same name on the table.

2 - The source table column type has changed from Float to Money; on the target DB there is a default value linked to the column specifying zero;
When the Target column is changed by the script the script fails because the column is linked to the default contraint. In this scenario it should
drop the contraint before altering the column and then re-create it. I think the problem here is that the constraint itself is on both DB's,
has not changed, but the column it references has.

3 - If the source DB has a Clustered Index on a Table with name A and the Target already has a Clustered Index with name B, there should be an option to
either warn that the update will fail since you cannot have 2 clustered indexes on the same table or replace the target Clustered Index with the
source Index. The latter being the preferred option.

Thanks

Comments

• Ben,

We will investigate the issues you have reported, however I will need to consult with the developer concerned over what we can do about 1 and 3, who is on holiday at the moment, so I might not be able to get you an answer about this until early March.

2 sounds like an issue that is fixable and shouldn't be too difficult to reproduce.

I am glad you like SQL Compare, regards

Jonathan
    Jonathan Watts

-Project Manager
    -Red Gate Software Ltd
  • Hi Ben,

Can I just check what options you are running SQL Compare with?

Ta,

Jonathan
    Jonathan Watts

-Project Manager
    -Red Gate Software Ltd
  • The default properties i think, i took down those 3 issues months ago, and forgot about them, cleaning up my drive yesterday i found them again so i'm not sure.

Opening a project from back then, it seems like the default properties.

Ignore - White Space, Fill Factor and Index Padding, Filegroups, User Properties, With Element order

The rest of the options is unselected.
  • Sorry, about this Ben, I know I said that these issues shouldn't be too difficult to reproduce, however we are having some difficultly recreating the failures with tests cases that only contain the differences you describe. This might suggest that other differences in the objects are causing some of the problems that you are seeing.

Is it possible for you to supply us with the schema that you refer to below? If so please email jonathan [dot] watts [at] red [dash] gate [dot] com.

Regards,

Jonathan
    Jonathan Watts

-Project Manager
    -Red Gate Software Ltd