How do you use cloud databases? Take the survey.

SQL Monitor not sending mail - The server response was: 4.3.1 Insufficient system resources

2019-02-04 12:56:52,086 [             33] WARN  RedGate.SqlMonitor.Engine.Alerting.Base.Core.Email.SendMail - Sending email failed
System.Net.Mail.SmtpException: Insufficient system storage. The server response was: 4.3.1 Insufficient system resources
   at System.Net.Mail.MailCommand.CheckResponse(SmtpStatusCode statusCode, String response)
   at System.Net.Mail.MailCommand.Send(SmtpConnection conn, Byte[] command, MailAddress from, Boolean allowUnicode)
   at System.Net.Mail.SmtpTransport.SendMail(MailAddress sender, MailAddressCollection recipients, String deliveryNotify, Boolean allowUnicode, SmtpFailedRecipientException& exception)
   at System.Net.Mail.SmtpClient.Send(MailMessage message)
   at RedGate.SqlMonitor.Engine.Alerting.Base.Core.Email.SendMail.SendEmail(EmailServerSettings settings, String subject, IEnumerable`1 emailAddresses, String body, NameValueCollection headers, String fileToAttach)System.Net.Mail.SmtpException: Insufficient system storage. The server response was: 4.3.1 Insufficient system resources
   at System.Net.Mail.MailCommand.CheckResponse(SmtpStatusCode statusCode, String response)
   at System.Net.Mail.MailCommand.Send(SmtpConnection conn, Byte[] command, MailAddress from, Boolean allowUnicode)
   at System.Net.Mail.SmtpTransport.SendMail(MailAddress sender, MailAddressCollection recipients, String deliveryNotify, Boolean allowUnicode, SmtpFailedRecipientException& exception)
   at System.Net.Mail.SmtpClient.Send(MailMessage message)
   at RedGate.SqlMonitor.Engine.Alerting.Base.Core.Email.SendMail.SendEmail(EmailServerSettings settings, String subject, IEnumerable`1 emailAddresses, String body, NameValueCollection headers, String fileToAttach)

This started to happen the last few days, moniitor is on a dedicated VM, has lots of Memory/CPU/Disk space left.  I've restarted the machine and updated to the latest but no help in resolving.
Tagged:

Best Answer

Answers

• Russell DRussell D Posts: 1,324 Diamond 5
    edited February 5, 2019 1:40PM
    The exception is a .net framework exception error from the mail server so I'd start there. Unless your SQL Monitor server is also acting as your mail server, its nothing to do with that server.

Either the mail server does not have sufficient disk space, or the recipient mailbox is full. Usually the latter.
    Have you visited our Help Centre?
  • JeffKJeffK Posts: 12 New member
    thx for reply Russell...

The mailserver is different than 

I've sent test mail from my DB servers (using the same mail server as SM) and it makes it to me np, so I don't think its a mailserver issue.  I can also telnet to the mail server from the SM VM and I get a valid response.

any other ideas?
  • JeffKJeffK Posts: 12 New member
    Ok, amazingly enough - space issue on mail server!  it wasn't completely out of space, but I was told it was some 5 GB free :)  it got cleaned up a little and now mail works.

Thanks Russell!