Options

problem with the Redgate update service

tokotoko Posts: 10 New member
edited February 1, 2019 7:52AM in SQL Prompt

I had the SQLPrompt 8.0.10.2247 version installed, updated to the V9 trial version, now after the trial expired , I want to go back to  my V8, by it wont install, no error message, no eventlog entry.

The Redgate Client Service is running fine , see image, but it fails to check for updates to Redgate Client, see att log

SSMS V 17.9.1 on Windows 7 Enterprise SP1 64 bit

Please help !

Tagged:

Answers

• Options
    Process Log from the Redgate services
  • Options
    Hi  @toko,

Did you uninstall version 9 of SQL Prompt and then try to reinstall version 8?  You would need to remove the newer version before installer the older one.  Also, I'm not sure what the Redgate client has to do with this - that is only responsible for the licensing of the products - if you have at least one of our products installed that will exist and as long as the service is running fine it shouldn't be impacting the installation of version 8 of SQL Prompt.

When you run the installer for version 8 what does it say or does it proceed through the install correctly and you just cannot see SQL Prompt in your SSMS?

Kind regards,
    Alex
    Product Support Engineer | Redgate Software

Have you visited our Help Center?
  • Options
    Hi Alex

Did you uninstall version 9 of SQL Prompt and then try to reinstall version 8? 

Yes I did

Also, I'm not sure what the Redgate client has to do with this - that is only responsible for the licensing of the products 
    Have you looked at the log for the Redgate Client ??

When you run the installer for version 8 what does it say or does it proceed through the install correctly and you just cannot see SQL Prompt in your SSMS?

When I start a install (or a repair) is starts the msiexec process up

but it just stalls, and the msiexec.exe just burns at 13 CPU, waiting for the Redgate Client Services
    (if I look at at threat dump, I can see that it is waiting)

If I stop the Redgate Client Service, the Install process proceed, but quickly the terminates

And SQL Prompt is not in the SSMS !

Please take a look at the previous att Client.2019-02-01.log and the P_Logfile.CSV.txt

Thank you for you support !
  • Options
    Alex BAlex B Posts: 1,132 Diamond 4
    edited February 5, 2019 2:26PM
    Hi @toko,

The client log only shows that it is having trouble updating to a later version, which is usually related to firewall or proxy settings - that should be covered by this knowledge article.  It doesn't have any information related to SQL Prompt specifically.  The other Process log file you added also doesn't mention SQL Prompt.

When you are performing the installation there should be an encompassing Redgate installer which has log files for the installation process that may be more helpful.  From the older installer for v8 you can get this by right clicking on the title bar of the main installer window, choosing "Locate temporary files" and copying out the RedGate.Logfile.txt.  Please run the installer until you receive the error or failure to install and then get this file and send it in.  If there is sensitive information I can open a ticket to retrieve this from you in.

I'm also including a link to the 8.0.10.2247 version you mention just to ensure there's nothing wrong with the installer: http://download.red-gate.com/checkforupdates/SQLPrompt/SQLPrompt_8.0.10.2247.exe

Kind regards,
    Alex
    Product Support Engineer | Redgate Software

Have you visited our Help Center?