How do you use cloud databases? Take the survey.

Graph displaying different peaks depending on chosen timeline

If I am looking at for instance the log space used % graph, it seems to show totally different peaks depending on the time range I use. Currently I have a database that shows a peak of 42% if I have time range to last 24 hours. If time range is last 7 days, the peak for the last 24 hours will show 5%, the value from a couple of minutes after the real peak.

In the documentation I read that the graph would make sure we didn't lose any peaks or important stuff.

Is any body else experiencing this? Is this expected behaviour? (Kind of makes the long range a bit hard to trust..)

Tagged:

Best Answer

• Tianjiao_LiTianjiao_Li Posts: 684 Rose Gold 5
    @GHauan

SQL Monitor collects data each few seconds and each graph has a maximum number of data points to show. For longer time range, it will reach the maximum points the graph can show. Therefore, few data points will be aggregated. The specific data point you're interested in now contains a summary of other points in close proximity so the peak is going to be smaller due to the smaller values around it, but there will still be a peak on the graph in the same location.
    Kind regards

Tianjiao Li | Redgate Software
    Have you visited our Help Center?

Answers

• Tianjiao_LiTianjiao_Li Posts: 684 Rose Gold 5
    edited December 14, 2018 12:52PM
    Hi @GHauan

This is expected. Did you read this  article?
    Kind regards

Tianjiao Li | Redgate Software
    Have you visited our Help Center?
  • GHauanGHauan Posts: 13 New member

Hi @Tianjiao_Li .  Thank you for answering.

I have read something similar in an other part of the documentation. (BTW, your link does not work, it contains some comment in the start).

However, I am not sure I agree with the statement "This form of data sampling makes sure that whatever the time range displayed, peaks and troughs are maintained on the graph relative to each other, so you don't miss anything important.". In my case as described in the original post, the graph says that the highest value for a particular day was 5%, while it really was 42%. I'd say that I do miss something important there if I have the longer range.

(Unless there is something I miss here..)