Options

Startup delay in SQL Query analyser

BertDeHaesBertDeHaes Posts: 5
edited February 14, 2007 12:01PM in SQL Prompt Previous Versions
When the SQL Prompt is activated, it takes up to 5 minutes before SQL Query analyser pops op and show sthe login window. When I deactiate SQL Prompt, it pops up in less then a second. Is this a known problem ? I mostly deactivate SQL Prompt because of this delay ...

Comments

• Options
    Bart ReadBart Read Posts: 997 Silver 1
    Hi Bert,

That's interesting. I assume you mean it's 5 minutes before the Window appears? If you leave it running do you get any kind of error? Could you also let me know what OS version you're using, what's happening with your CPU during this time (i.e. how much is being used and what processes are using it), the type and speed of your CPU and how much physical memory you have in your machine please?

Thanks,
    Bart
    Bart Read
    Principal Consultant
    bartread.com Ltd
  • Options
    Yes, It takes nearly 5 minutes before the Window appears. I have a windows XP SP2 machine with 4Gb of ram and a P4 3.4Gh processor. I can see the isqlw.exe process in taskmanager, but it does not consume any cpu. it takes 21696 kB of memory when SQL Prompt is enabled. During the 5 minutes wait time, I can not see any cpu usage, only the memory usage changes ( raises to 21744kB ). When the window appears, it takes 27236kB memory, going to 48396kB when connected.

Without SQL Prompt, the login windows pops up in less then a second, and isql uses 6004kB of memory before login. ( 9184 kB after connection ).

The machine uses only 500Mb of the 4Gb of memory when I did this test ...
  • Options
    Hi Bert,

Hmmm... that's also very interesting. Is there anything else using a significant amount of CPU during this time? I'm thinking perhaps your AV software might not like our method of injecting code into QA, although even if that were the case 5 minutes seems excessive, particularly on a machine with that spec. Is there any significant disk access occurring in this period? If not I'm at a loss but we'll certainly investigate.

Last thing: have you tried starting up SQL Server Management Studio, and if so do you see a similar delay when you start that up?

Thanks,
    Bart
    Bart Read
    Principal Consultant
    bartread.com Ltd
  • Options
    I do not see anything happening ( no disk io , no cpu ) when I have to wait. I even tried with my AV disabled, but I did not see any changes.

I did not yet install SQL Server Management Studio on this machine. I'am still using SQL 2000 server & tools.

I manage 8 servers, but most of them are not reachable when I launch isqlw. ( they are only reachable when I connect to the VPN of my clients )

I have a Virtual PC with SQL 2005 server & tools. I will try to install SQL Prompt on the virtual PC and do the same tests.

Thanks,
    Bert
  • Options
    Hi Bert,

I realise I'm saying this is a lot but that really IS interesting, because it sounds like perhaps SQL Prompt is trying to connect to one of those databases... and hence what you're seeing is the result of waiting for a network timeout to occur. This is very odd because until you try to connect to something neither should SQL Prompt, and in any case even if it is waiting for a timeout it shouldn't hang the app initialisation, but this is what I'm guessing is happening from what you've said.

Just out of interest, what would happen if you connected to the VPN first, before you started Query Analyzer?

At any rate we'll take a look into it. Hopefully it will be fixed in the first patch release.

Thanks,
    Bart
    Bart Read
    Principal Consultant
    bartread.com Ltd
  • Options
    THis seems to be the problem !
    I cleared the SQL prompt cache, and now the delay has gone ...

Hope this can be fixed in the next patch release,

Thanks,
    Bert
  • Options
    Well at least now we know what's up. Sorry for the aggravation it's causing you: we've already fixed one problem with this and I was hoping that was it, but clearly not. We'll definitely sort this out for the patch.
    Thanks,
    Bart
    Bart Read
    Principal Consultant
    bartread.com Ltd