[BUG] Reformatting Text is SLOW

paschottpaschott Posts: 71 Bronze 4
edited February 12, 2007 6:05AM in SQL Prompt Previous Versions
Selected maybe 100-200 lines of text that had been indented in SSMS. Hit Shift+Tab to decrease the indent level. Nothing happened. Tried again - still nothing. Clicked the button to decrease the indent and the app hung for maybe 30 seconds. I didn't really stick around to wait for it to finish, just switched to a different app to do other work, then came back to repeat the process (it had been indented several times).

I don't know if that was due to the fact that it was commented out or just the reformatting involved, but it was slow enough to lose several minutes just to re-format my text.

-Pete

Comments

• Hi Pete,

Thanks for reporting this. I've added an issue to our list.

Regards,

Tilman
  • paschottpaschott Posts: 71 Bronze 4
    While I'm thinking about this, I think that it's also affecting just selecting text. If I hold down shift and arrow up or down, SSMS takes quite a while to highlight the rows and the only indicator I have that I'm selecting is a small blue line on the left side of the row. If I'm de-selecting, I have nothing.

Running the SP2 CTP on my local box if that helps to test.

-Pete
  • Im also having the same problem.
    Im using Microsoft SQL Server 2005 - 9.00.2047.00 (Intel X86) .

When I try to select text sometimes it just starts dragging and slows everything WAY down. This goes for unselecting text also (using keyboard). Or just moving up and down with the arrow keys.

I cleared the cache for SQL Prompt but this did not fix anything.
    I turned SQL Prompt off from the menu and SSMS returned to its normal editing (being able to select text as expected with normal speed).

If I can narrow it down more Ill post again, but it seems to happen on big and small SQL files.
  • Hi,

I've amended the original issue with your updates.

Regards,

Tilman
  • I have the same problem.
    If I highlight a block of text to do anything my machine hangs for about 30 seconds, If I turn of prompt its all OK.
    I had service pack 2 installed by the way but deinstalled it.
    But I stll had to run the pre-release version of prompt to get it to work at all on my PC.
    At the moment I have turned it off as it is unworkable as it is.

I will revert to the freebe version I had before as this seems to work OK
  • paschottpaschott Posts: 71 Bronze 4
    Just wanted to add in the doing a Find/Replace also seems to take much longer than with SQL Prompt 2. I don't notice it for really short scripts, but I've got a couple of scripts in the 1000's of lines and those definitely take a while where they used to happen almost instantaneously.

-Pete
  • paschott wrote:
    Just wanted to add in the doing a Find/Replace also seems to take much longer than with SQL Prompt 2. I don't notice it for really short scripts, but I've got a couple of scripts in the 1000's of lines and those definitely take a while where they used to happen almost instantaneously.

-Pete

I also had problems with the find/replace functionality in SSMS taking a considerable amount of time as well as using a large amount of CPU resources. Upon turning off SQL Prompt3 manually the find/replace functionality worked as intended.
  • Hi,

I've amanded the original post, once more.

Thanks for posting,

Tilman