DB Migration help!!

BoricuaTecBoricuaTec Posts: 3
edited February 9, 2007 8:49AM in SQL Backup Previous Versions
Hello all!

Hopefully someone can help me out with this one.

I need to move DBs between two locations. I would like to know how I can keep these DBs in sync. So at the time I need to flip the switch, I can start using the DB in the new location. I dont care if I have to have them do this over a number of days, just as long as I can get this done. I am trying to keep down time to extremely low!! If I can get any help with this, that would be great!

THANKS IN ADVANCE!!

Comments

• peteypetey Posts: 2,358 New member
    Would data in both databases be updated concurrently? If so, you may want to consider replication.

If only one database is updated, while the other is in passive/read-only mode, then log shipping would may be option, where updates from the primary database are constantly applied to the standby database.

If you are using SQL Server 2005, and both databases are physically 'near' each other, you may want to consider database mirroring.

Depending on your version of SQL Server, some options may be be feasible/available.

E.g. see http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms190202.aspx.
    Peter Yeoh
    SQL Backup Consultant Developer
    Associate, Yohz Software
    Beyond compression - SQL Backup goodies under the hood, updated for version 8
  • Hello Peter,

Actually the log shipping may be what I need. I just purchased the Pro ToolBelt. Would I be able to accomplish this? What steps would I need to take?
  • Brian DonahueBrian Donahue Posts: 6,590 Bronze 1
    There is a wizard you can use in SQL Backup to set up log shipping. Basically you need to have a network share that both SQL Servers can access. All of the logs will be backed up and copied to this share and restored from this share.