Options

Comparing a db to a Scripts folder - can I exclude a subfolder?

tobintobin Posts: 8 New member
I'm trying to run an SQL Compare against a folder we've had source controlled for years, and I am getting errors because under the structure we have a "Replication" folder.  This contains some duplicate view creation to what is under the "View" folder, so SQL Compare is throwing errors.

Is there a way for me to add a flag to the RedGateDatabaseInfo.xml to exclude this folder from the comparison?

It would be problematic to move the file on the filesystem as we'd have problems with our source control, losing history, and the devs like the current structure.
Tagged:

Best Answer

• Options
    Tianjiao_LiTianjiao_Li Posts: 684 Rose Gold 5
    @tobin

I'm afraid there isn't that option in SQL Compare at the moment.

We don't suggest storing any files in the version controlled scripts folder as it can causes various issues as you've seen. I'm surprised you haven't seen any issues in SQL Source Control as they use the same compare engine behind the scene.

You'd have to remove the subfolder that is not generated by SQL Source Control/SQL Compare I'm afraid...
    Kind regards

Tianjiao Li | Redgate Software
    Have you visited our Help Center?

Answers

• Options
    tobintobin Posts: 8 New member
    Thanks for that Tianjiao, Unfortunately, because I'm just one member of the team and we don't want to lose the source control history we have that's not possible either.  It will just prevent me from using this tool.
    We don't use SQL Source Control for the same reason - I'm using TFS to manage that, as the team I joined has used that for years.  I was hoping to get more widespread adoption of the tooling.

Thanks for the feedback :)
  • Options
    Thanks @tobin

It looks like Questionin TFS if you move specific folder within the project or source control in Source Control Explorer, the folder history will be lost, but it preserves the files’ history in the folder. More about it can be found here.
    Kind regards

Tianjiao Li | Redgate Software
    Have you visited our Help Center?