Options

SSMS 18 - Preview Support request to be consistent between products

pauls671pauls671 Posts: 2 New member
edited October 12, 2018 1:26AM in SQL Prompt
I read in one of the questions below, Red-gate's (official) response that preview builds are not supported. However, why does SQL Source Control support the preview, since one of their latest 'frequent' builds:

However, as said in this forum SQL Prompt does not, but why not through their beta builds? In my opinion Red-gate should be consistent across their products; either support it or don't. The current stance certainly does not help here. 

And while I'm at it; SQL Source Control calls it 'frequent update releases'  and SQL Prompt calls it 'beta updates'. Perhaps that could be the same as well to avoid, again, confusion between products? 

Answers

• Options
    Russell DRussell D Posts: 1,324 Diamond 5
    edited October 15, 2018 7:50AM
    I'll pass your comments across to the two teams in question, but for reference its an internal decision for the specific team.
    Have you visited our Help Centre?
  • Options
    pauls671pauls671 Posts: 2 New member
    Thanks Russel and although I appreciate the feedback, that is not the answer I was hoping to hear from a company that we're buying the Toolbelt from. I can see how this would happen but in this case I'm inclined to state that from your company I would expect a single stance on how previews should be released; how else could you even evaluate, if given that choice?
    I think that, at a minimum, your paying customers, should be informed and given an option. This is not a good customer answer/experience imho, and it makes me question our own commitment to Redgate as our SQL tools provider because if each team can just decide what to do in important product releases (alpha, beta or even release), what else could be different among them?