Does the Log Shipping feature of SQL Backup have Failover?

mcline700mcline700 Posts: 2
edited February 9, 2007 8:46AM in SQL Backup Previous Versions
I plan to buy 2 licenses of your product this month. I have tested and proven the database speed of your product for backup/restore. I am interested in the Log Shipping features. Is there any Stored Procedure or mechanism to make the failover automatic between the 2 servers linked via Log Shipping? Any advice on this? Thanks.
Mike Cline
Creative Labs, Inc
1901 McCarthy Blvd.
Milpitas, CA 94087
(408) 546-6295

Comments

• peteypetey Posts: 2,358 New member
    You would need to set up the failover mechanism on your servers manually, as SQL Backup does not perform the failover automatically.

I would suggest googling for 'log shipping failover' to consider the various issues before deciding on a manual or automatic failover.
    Peter Yeoh
    SQL Backup Consultant Developer
    Associate, Yohz Software
    Beyond compression - SQL Backup goodies under the hood, updated for version 8
  • Brian DonahueBrian Donahue Posts: 6,590 Bronze 1
    At the simplest, you bring the database up using a RESTORE DATABASE [x] WITH RECOVERY and re-associate any SQL users in the database by creating a corresponding logon and running exec sp_change_users_login against each login, to associate the database user with the new SID.

But I agree the best thing to do would be to research all of the possible ramifications ging up the database in your particular circumstances.