Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

My SQL Source control has stopped working. I get: Object reference not set to an instance of an object. No other detail is provided.
Tagged:

Answers

• RichardLRichardL Posts: 417 Gold 4
    Hi @Gail

Thanks for your post. 

Could you confirm which version of Source Control you're using please? 

Kind regards

Richard Lynch. 
    Customer Support
    Redgate Software
  • I have the same problem. Incredibly frustrating and counter-productive.

Workaround for me was: Unlinking the database, restart SSMS, and re-linking it. This ends up showing a bunch of conflicts. 

SQL Server version 2017
    SSMS Version 17.7
    SQL Source Control version: 6.0.2.6908
    Source control system: Git
  • kFlahertykFlaherty Posts: 1 Bronze 1
    edited July 13, 2018 5:27PM
    I am having the same issue Source Control 6.2.0.7681 on SQL 2014 , SSMS 17.7 and a SVN repository
    Is there a solution to this issue?
  • Jessica RJessica R Posts: 1,319 Rose Gold 4
    Hi all,

Apologies for this issue! There appears to be a problem in the latest version where SQL Source Control scripts may create unnamed foreign key constraints, but still try to reference the constraints by name. We are still looking into this and will post here when we have an update.

In the meantime, you can downgrade to the previous release from here: ftp://support.red-gate.com/patches/sqlsourcecontrol/23May2018/SQLSourceControl_6.1.8.7584.exe 

Jessica Ramos | Product Support Engineer | Redgate Software

Have you visited our Help Center?

• rick@syncbakrick@syncbak Posts: 14 Bronze 2
    edited August 6, 2018 1:32PM
    Apologies - deleted.  I posted for wrong productt.
  • anotaroanotaro Posts: 3 Bronze 1
    Downgrading to 6.1.8.7584 did in fact resolve the issue for us.
  • cycloscottcycloscott Posts: 1 New member
    Is there an ETA as to when this will be fixed?  We've now got a number of developers who are bypassing the RedGate tooling to avoid these types of errors.
  • ERobishawERobishaw Posts: 1 New member
    I have the same issue... surely this has been resolved by now, some 6 months later?
    ANY migration script that does anything even simple now gives this useless error, and the logs do not even show the error as having occured!
  • AndrewChauAndrewChau Posts: 2 New member
    I have the same issue. My version is 7.018.9209. it is latest one. Is any solution?
  • Jessica RJessica R Posts: 1,319 Rose Gold 4
    Hi all,

So sorry for the delay in updating here!

This particular issue with the unnamed foreign key constraints (bug reference SOC-9553) was resolved as of version 6.3.2.8313. The stack trace for the error for this bug would show a call to IncrementalRegistrationSnapshotUpdater.UpdateLatestSnapshot.

If you're still running into a NullReferenceException with the latest version, it's likely from a different cause. If so, can you please open a separate forum post with more detail (or open a support ticket with support@red-gate.com if you have Support & Upgrades on your license)?

Thank you!

Jessica Ramos | Product Support Engineer | Redgate Software

Have you visited our Help Center?

• DamianWiseDamianWise Posts: 18 Bronze 2
    I ran in to the same problem.  I am using SQL Source control 7.1.5.  However, it only fails on a single database linked to a common SubVersion repository.  Unlinking this database and relinking resolved the issue.