Server Refresh hangs, no activity log since 9.2.6.440 upgrade

I recently upgraded our primary DB servers SQL Backup Agent from v7.7 to v9.2.6.440. Since then when I open SQL Backup it will initially connect to the server and show the history. However, the second I click on the server I get the green spinning refresh icon and it never updates. In the tabs below I'm missing the entire Activity History. I've tried using SQL Backup from the server itself and from other servers with the same results. If I try to Restore the database it hangs trying to get the backup history.

We're running SQL Server 12.0.4100.1

Any suggestion on how to get SQL Backup to work again?
Tagged:

Best Answer

• Jessica RJessica R Posts: 1,319 Rose Gold 4

Hi @gbronzer,

Thanks for your post and sorry to hear you're running into an issue!

There are a few things that could help with the green spinning history circle. The three things to try in order would be:

1. First, clear the Activity Cache or *.dat files as follows:

1. Close the GUI connections.
    2. Navigate to this directory on the machine where the SQL backup GUI is installed: C:\Users<username>\AppData\Local\Red gate\SQL Backup\ServerData
    3. In this folder you will find one or more .dat files, for example 1.dat, 31.dat, localDataCache.dat.
    4. Delete all the *.dat files in the ServerData folder.
    5. Now re-open the GUI. The *.dat files deleted in the previous step will be recreated. This may take awhile while the files are rebuilt. Are you now able to view the Activity History?

2. If that doesn't help though:

-stop the SQL Backup Agent service 
    -go to C:\ProgramData\Red Gate\SQL Backup\Data\<INSTANCE NAME> 
    -Rename the data.sdf to OLD_data.sdf 
    -restart the service SQL Backup Agent service 
    -and this will re populate the backup history locally.

3. Lastly, if neither of the above works, you can try removing the servers from inside SQL Backup (this wont uninstall anything) then re-import them, but in the add new server drop down under 'amount of history to import' select none. This should result in the databases being fully responsive. (However, after doing this last one there will be no history displayed until more backup jobs run.)

Hope that helps!

Jessica Ramos | Product Support Engineer | Redgate Software

Have you visited our Help Center?

Answers