Databases show as "Checking schema..." forever.

dwainewdwainew Posts: 59 Bronze 4
edited June 12, 2015 3:08PM in DLM Dashboard
Adding DBs went fine. this is dev, so I used a SQL account which has sa. no complaints, but also no results.

DLM Dashboard – Version: 1.4.3.197
Tagged:

Comments

• jduvaljduval Posts: 6 New member
    Has anyone solved this problem, we are having the same issue.  We added the server without issue, then added 4 databases to be monitored and they have all be "stuck" in the checking schema and thus we can not get the tool or alerts working.
  • I'm sorry you're having issues. I've got a couple items to think about. First, have you restarted the DLMDashboard services? I wonder if something is stuck here.

I have restarted the services and the databases continue to stay in the "checking schema" state.  Very frustrating as RedGate is offering no help and referring me only to the documentation and the documentation has nothing to help with this issue.
  • I'll apologize, though I know this isn't what you want to hear.

The data is in a RavenDB system in ProgramData\Redgate\SQL Lighthouse. I downloaded Raven yesterday, but haven't set it up. I need to do this and get some client queries. Maybe I can help figure out what might be wrong. If I can, I'll post something.

My suspicion is something got into an error state and the data is incorrect somewhere. Likely the error handling isn't sufficient to deal with this.

I haven't run into this. I've added DLM Dashboard to a dozen or so installations and haven't had this issue. I have been able to run the setup script on a new server, then add the server in the dashboard without issue, and I might suggest that if you are open to digging around. What I'd suggest is removing the server from the config, and restart the DLMDashboard services. 

Then setup a new login on your instance that has the permissions. Sysadmin if you don't mind, otherwise, the permissions are doc'd here: https://documentation.red-gate.com/ddb1/getting-started/creating-a-login-with-the-correct-permissions

I usually use a separate login, just for security purposes and so I can trace things. I've setup "dlmdashboard" as my login, with limited permissions. I then run the setup script (https://documentation.red-gate.com/ddb1/files/38043983/41358394/1/1459336529080/create_ddl_trigger.sql) to create the Redgate database. From here, if I add the new instance in DLM Dashboard, it seems to work smoothly, and when I pick a database, small or large, it grabs the schema and lets met set a version immediately.

Again, I apologize. I know these are cheap words, but I'll see if I can find out more info, or get some debugging hints from a developer or two.
  • I'll apologize, though I know this isn't what you want to hear.

The data is in a RavenDB system in ProgramData\Redgate\SQL Lighthouse. I downloaded Raven yesterday, but haven't set it up. I need to do this and get some client queries. Maybe I can help figure out what might be wrong. If I can, I'll post something.

My suspicion is something got into an error state and the data is incorrect somewhere. Likely the error handling isn't sufficient to deal with this.

I haven't run into this. I've added DLM Dashboard to a dozen or so installations and haven't had this issue. I have been able to run the setup script on a new server, then add the server in the dashboard without issue, and I might suggest that if you are open to digging around. What I'd suggest is removing the server from the config, and restart the DLMDashboard services. 

Then setup a new login on your instance that has the permissions. Sysadmin if you don't mind, otherwise, the permissions are doc'd here: https://documentation.red-gate.com/ddb1/getting-started/creating-a-login-with-the-correct-permissions

I usually use a separate login, just for security purposes and so I can trace things. I've setup "dlmdashboard" as my login, with limited permissions. I then run the setup script (https://documentation.red-gate.com/ddb1/files/38043983/41358394/1/1459336529080/create_ddl_trigger.sql) to create the Redgate database. From here, if I add the new instance in DLM Dashboard, it seems to work smoothly, and when I pick a database, small or large, it grabs the schema and lets met set a version immediately.

Again, I apologize. I know these are cheap words, but I'll see if I can find out more info, or get some debugging hints from a developer or two.
    So I have followed your steps and we are still stuck with ALL of our databases saying "checking schema", this is unfortunate that there is ZERO support to get this tool working, yet the competition offers the same type of tools and they will support at least getting it working.  I'm frustrated as a paying RedGate customer that I can not get support on making this tool work.  Please advise.
    So I just tested with a blank database and everything worked fine.  The databases that get stuck "checking schema" forever are databases that are FileStream enabled, does this tool NOT support databases that use FileStream?
  • I'll apologize, though I know this isn't what you want to hear. This is a draft post I meant to leave you before my holiday, but I forgot. That being said, I've sent a query off about FS.

Here's what I wrote a few weeks ago.

I usually use a separate login, just for security purposes and so I can trace things. I've setup "dlmdashboard" as my login, with limited permissions. I then run the setup script (https://documentation.red-gate.com/ddb1/files/38043983/41358394/1/1459336529080/create_ddl_trigger.sql) to create the Redgate database. From here, if I add the new instance in DLM Dashboard, it seems to work smoothly, and when I pick a database, small or large, they seem to get caught up. I wonder if this is a case where you need to drop a db and add it back? Maybe use the IP instead of the name so it appears new?

• Are you on version 1.7.5.x?
    Yes, my version is: DLM Dashboard 1.7.5.1116
  • antmanantman Posts: 2 New member
    Hello, is there any solution about this issue?
  • I don't know there will be any fix here. We've end of life'd DLM Dashboard for a variety of reasons. We are working on a replacement for this that includes some functionality. Some notes in here: https://www.red-gate.com/blog/database-development/why-and-how-you-should-automate-database-migrations