Provisioning sanitized data with SQL Clone and Data Masker. Watch now.
Questions about SQL Clone
I have a few questions that I was hoping could be answered. I'd like to evaluate SQL Clone for use in our enterprise, but need to understand if it can do certain things.
- How does SQL Clone handle cloning a database that has multiple filegroups spread across different drives?
- How large, typically, would the differencing disk need to be if adding a column to a table with 1 million records? (Obviously, I understand this will "depend" on various factors, just trying to figure out what actually gets written to the differencing disk)
- Would it essentially have to rewrite the entire table to the differencing disk?
- When updating a row, does it need to write the entire row to the disk, or just the changed column?
- What kind of performance penalty can we expect from the use of differencing disks? I'm not talking about running production with it, but more how will it affect testing performance.
- Does the "clone" need to be on the same server as the image?
- Is the image typically the same size as the "live" database?
0 · Share on Twitter