SQL Agent Necessary?

acorcoranacorcoran Posts: 9
edited February 2, 2007 11:54AM in SQL Backup Previous Versions
This is probably a novice question, however, I was unsure once SQL Backup was installed and the Backup Agent is successfully running, is there still a need to have SQL Agent running at all?

Comments

• Hi Acorcoran,

There is no need to have the SQL Agent running for a backup to run successfullly however the GUI scripts scheduled backups as SQL Agent jobs so if the SQL Agent is not running then any backup's you have scheduled will also not run.

- James
    James Moore
    Head of DBA Tools
    Red Gate Software Ltd
  • So just to make sure I am understanding clearly, if we used the maintenance plan wizard in the past for optimization, integrity, we'll have to continue using the SQL Agent to run these? I know SQL Backup Agent will handle the backups of both database and transaction logs, but wasn't sure if it would also handle running the various maintenance tools inherent in enterprise manager?

Thanks,
    Aaron
  • Hi,

Yep you are right, SQL Backup will handle the backup's but it is left to the SQL Agent to continue doing the scheduling so for your maintaince plans to work (and your scheduled backups to run) you will need to keep the SQL Agent running.

- James
    James Moore
    Head of DBA Tools
    Red Gate Software Ltd
  • Great,

Thanks for the prompt responses and clarification.

Aaron