Update Pain Point

OpusOpus Posts: 4 New member
It would be nice if there were some way to update all of the Redgate tools from one place.  As an example, I use Telerik tools and they have a lot of packages.  They provide a dashboard that looks at all of my installed products and checks to see if they need an update.  I then have the option to select the packages that I want updated and have the tool run all of them.

I really like to keep my software updated in case any security issues pop up.  Doing this on Redgate is difficult because I have to open each program individually and check for updates.  It is further complicated by the fact that some of the software is not directly accessible and must be checked when I open an application it supports. 

This is a pretty big QoL change that would really help me recommend this to others.  As it is now, I do recommend it, but I caveat that by telling them of the time this takes.

Comments

• RichardLRichardL Posts: 417 Gold 4
    Hi @Opus

Thanks for your post. 

There should be reminders within your Redgate applications once they become available. If you dismiss the reminder it will take another week before it reminds you again. 

Also, if you want the latest versions of all products within your bundle you can go to your invoice. At the bottom there will be a link called 'Need to download the tools?' and this always has the latest versions of the tools related to the products on that specific invoice. 

I hope this helps. 

Richard Lynch. 
    Customer Support
    Redgate Software
  • OpusOpus Posts: 4 New member
    NotRichardL said:
    Hi @Opus

Thanks for your post. 

There should be reminders within your Redgate applications once they become available. If you dismiss the reminder it will take another week before it reminds you again. 

Also, if you want the latest versions of all products within your bundle you can go to your invoice. At the bottom there will be a link called 'Need to download the tools?' and this always has the latest versions of the tools related to the products on that specific invoice. 

I hope this helps. 

Richard Lynch. 
    Not really.  It actually does not address any of the pain points I mentioned, but instead explained the very process I was addressing.  What I am talking about is an easy way to know that tools need updated without having to touch the tool (or SSMS or VS).  I should not have to open each tool separately, which is what your current SOP requires.  What I am requesting makes life easier for the developer (which is what I thought you were about).  This is the only tool set I use that does not do this, and I am disappointed that you do not seem interested in putting something together.
  • RichardLRichardL Posts: 417 Gold 4
    Hi @Opus

Thanks for your reply. 

There aren't really other options available just now but we will mention this to the Dev teams. Thanks again for your post and we hope you are not too inconvenienced by this. 

Kind regards

Richard Lynch. 
    Customer Support
    Redgate Software
  • This is definitely on the list of things we want to do but work has not yet started on it. No ETA I'm afraid.
    Have you visited our Help Centre?