Maintenance windows for SQL Monitor 7.0

I've set up several maintenance windows for my SQL environment but I'm still getting 1500 emails every weekend most of them from times during the window.  
These messages are SQL Server instance unreachable .. this happens due to the snapshot backups of the servers themselves not sql back ups.  

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
EXAMPLE:
Log entry:

Error: 4014, Severity: 20, State: 11.
A fatal error occurred while reading the input stream from the network. The session will be terminated (input error: 64, output error: 0).

at 1AM when I have a maintenance window set from 00:30 for 45 minutes. The time zone for the servers are the same.
_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I saw an older post about version 5.0.7 where they said the maintenance window only suppresses messages in regards to performance but still shows unreachable messages?  
Is this still true?  Is there any way to stop all messages during these windows?   

I would also like to know if there is a way to tell it to ignore a specific alert from a specific source IP address.. 
we have another program that scans the network and it send about 40 error messages  every time it scans and this scan happens outside the normal maintenance window
Tagged:

Best Answers

• Dan BDan B Posts: 287 Gold 5
    Answer ✓
    Hi Mlanahan,

The current list of suspended alerts during maintenance windows is available here: https://documentation.red-gate.com/sm7/configuring-sql-monitor/adding-and-configuring-servers/configuring-monitored-servers/setting-maintenance-windows/list-of-alerts-suspended-during-maintenance-windows.

You can edit this but you need to do this on the database directly.

If you run:

SELECT * FROM settings.KeyValuePairs AS kvp

You'll get the numeric value of every Alert type, which you can then use to exclude. Using this list you can then update the MaintenanceWindow-AlertsToExclude row with the numerical value from the above query, making sure to add rather than replace so that you don't remove the other alerts as well! The below query will allow you to suppress all alerts.

UPDATE [RedgateMonitor].[settings].[KeyValuePairs] 
    SET 
    [KeyValue] ='"1","2","3","4","5","6","7","8","9","10","11","12","14","15","16","17","18","19","24","25","27","28","29","30","31","33","34","35","36","37","38","39","40","41","42","43","44","45","46","47","48","49","50"'

There isn't any way to exclude alerts from specific IP's what kind of alert is being raised for this? You might be able to use regex to exclude the alert.

Kind regards,
    Dan Bainbridge
    Product Support Engineer | Redgate Software
    Hi Mlanahan,

In terms of the error log entries, there isn't a way to exclude these unfortunately. I would advise raising a feature request on https://sqlmonitor.uservoice.com/forums/91743-suggestions to get this added in.
    Kind regards,
    Dan Bainbridge
    Further to that,

The team are currently investigating configurability of alerting for H2 this year which should also include maintenance windows. 

Would you be interested in sharing your thoughts with the dev team? If so please do drop me a private message with an email and I will pass that onto the team.
    Kind regards,
    Dan Bainbridge

Answers

• MlanahanMlanahan Posts: 8 New member
    edited June 28, 2018 5:15PM
    Another feature that would be nice to have, which I didnt see going through the documentation or through the client would be an out of band maintenance window option for when there is planned patching or emergency maintenance being done on the network.
    Thank you for the quick reply, I'm pretty new to this software so I haven't used the regex yet but here is the error we receive; there's actually two network scans that kick off this same error.

Time raised:

5 Jul 2018 00:41 (UTC-05)

Details

Log entry:

Error: 17836, Severity: 20, State: 17.
    Length specified in network packet payload did not match number of bytes read; the connection has been closed. Please contact the vendor of the client library. [CLIENT: 192.168.0.150 <- (fake ip address input)]

Thanks for all the help Dan, one last question, is there any way to set up a second maintenance window on the same server?   For patching weekends / emergency maintenance?  
  • There isn't currently a way to have multiple maintenance windows. The best way to get this noticed is to add a vote to this uservoice https://sqlmonitor.uservoice.com/forums/91743-suggestions/suggestions/3650619-multiple-maintenance-windows.

That article is quite old and has a reasonable number of votes so I will ask the product manager if we have any plans in this area.
    Kind regards,
    Dan Bainbridge