unknown type sys.date in SQL Data Compare V6

I have SQL Data Compare V6.1.1.308, which I have not used for a while and now while comparing 2 DBs, it gives the message "unknown type  sys.date".  I have not used SQL 2000 or SQL 2005 for years so don't think that is the cause.
Would love to get SQL Data Compare working again.

Comments

• sam.blackburnsam.blackburn Posts: 224 Gold 2
    edited June 27, 2018 12:12PM
    SQL Data Compare 6.1 is about a decade old, so I'd recommend a free trial of a more recent version. The best version to use depends on which version of SQL Server you need to connect to.  Did you mean to say that you regularly use SQL Server 2000 and 2005 without problems, or that you only use later versions?
    • If you're only using SQL Server 2005 or later, I'd recommend trying SQL Data Compare 13, the currently supported version.
    • SQL Data Compare 11 still connected to SQL Server 2000 (though this wasn't officially supported).
    Software Developer
    Redgate Software
  • davidjdavidj Posts: 3 New member
    Sam, thanks for your post but you might have missed the point of what SQL Server I am using - it is 2008 R2 and nothing else.  The only reason I mentioned an early version was this RedGate post https://forum.red-gate.com/discussion/17920/unknown-type-sys-date  where someone found success removing "DatabaseVersion tag" in some XML file that I cannot find.  I use RedGate SQL Compare 12 without any problem.  I don't know why I should have to upgrade from SQL Data Compare 6 when it used to work.Would you have any more suggestions?
  • Unfortunately SQL Data Compare 6 is no longer supported - even if we manage to reproduce the issue here, it would be difficult to build and release an updated version of the product.  If you can verify that the latest version is also affected, then we'd be happy to take a look at the bug.
    Software Developer
    Redgate Software
  • davidjdavidj Posts: 3 New member
    Hi Sam, is there an upgrade price from SQL Data Compare 6 to the latest?
    If so, where is the page to order it?  THanks.
  • Upgrades are normally cheaper than the full product license, but you'll need to contact Sales.  Here are some contact details: https://documentation.red-gate.com/xx/upgrading
    Software Developer
    Redgate Software