Missing "Push" button when using git as VCS

Hello,

I do have a "Commit" button, but no "Push" button.
This is in a shared database setup.
What do I need to do to get the "Push" button?

I have seen similar old questions here, but nothing that would have helped...

Thanks,
Mark
Tagged:

Best Answers

• David AtkinsonDavid Atkinson Posts: 1,431 Rose Gold 2
    Hmmm... this is strange. If you select "Git" when you link your DB to Git, you are obliged to choose the Dedicated Database option. Are you use you are linked to Git, or are you using the "Custom" option?
    David Atkinson
    Product Manager
    Redgate Software
  • MSAMSA Posts: 6 New member
    Oh... that might be it.
    I looked at both GIT and Custom options, not sure which one I ended up choosing.
    But it does say "Development model: Shared" in the Setup tab now.
    Is that the reason then?
    Yes. If you need to push as a separate operation you will need to choose the dedicated database option. An alternative is for you to link to a working folder and use an external git client (eg, the git command line) to do your commit and push.
    David Atkinson
    Product Manager
    Redgate Software
  • MSAMSA Posts: 6 New member
    Apart from the convenience factor, is there any difference or downside of using an external GIT client to do the push instead of having SqlSourceControl do it?
    I assume I will also have to do the pull manually?
    The end result will be the same whichever way you do it.

If you want to do the push using the "custom" link option you appear to be using, you can config what this does by editing %localappdata%\Red Gate\SQL Source Control 6\CommandLineHooks\git.xml 

Currently it does a commit, but I see no reason why you can't configure this to do whatever you need it to do, such as do a commit and a push.
    David Atkinson
    Product Manager
    Redgate Software