13.3.8.6436 : Object reference not set to an instance of an object

kalokalo Posts: 82 Bronze 5
having installed the frequent update from the blue bar which popped up today, I am no longer able to run a comparison (Even if i compare a database to itself) i get the error : 
 : Object reference not set to an instance of an object

on first run after updated i got an error saying the Rewriter assembly was missing but that error disappeared following a close and reopen of the application.

But as it stands i'm now not in a position to use the application - is it possible to rollback to the previous working version?

Tagged:

Best Answer

• Rob CRob C Posts: 419 Gold 2
    Hi @kalo,

It seems strange that it would fail and then start working again. I'm not sure what would cause that. If it starts happening again, please contact our support team so that we can try and resolve this for you.

If you still need to rollback to the prior version, you can download it here. You'll need to uninstall the current version first.
    Software Engineer
    Redgate Software

Answers

• kalokalo Posts: 82 Bronze 5
    update: having tried several times to compare 2 databases and getting the same error , i then tried comparing 2 script folders. This worked, and having got it to work and then trying other database comparisons the error went away. I then went back to my original database comparisons and these are now working too. So i've somehow flushed out whatever was causing the error without knowing what it was.

Log full of  "Failed to resolve..." errors then the error message that popped up in the UI 

11:06:01.360|Warn   |SQL Compare Engine  |27 |DBOResolver: Failed to resolve Table, View-.obj
    11:06:01.361|Warn   |SQL Compare Engine  |27 |DBOResolver: Failed to resolve Table, View-.xrow
    11:06:01.368|Warn   |SQL Compare Engine  |27 |DBOResolver: Failed to resolve Table, View-.src
    11:06:01.368|Warn   |SQL Compare Engine  |27 |DBOResolver: Failed to resolve Table, View-.src
    11:06:01.379|Info   |SQL Compare         |10 |Sending 1 event:
    [
      {
        "eventType": "database.comparison.failed",
        "headers": {
          "productId": "sql-compare",
          "productVersion": "13.3.8.6436",
          "eventUuid": "0636cfcf-bf5b-4ebc-9ac1-a21324760dce",
          "usageUserId": "c579cc5b-7b4d-4ef7-8da2-b52893bdc234",
          "sessionUuid": "8d660b73-2233-4aba-b411-d06ec93d1035",
          "createdTimeUtc": "2018-06-12T10:06:01Z"
        },
        "payload": {
          "exception": {
            "type": "NullReferenceException",
            "message": "Object reference not set to an instance of an object."
          }
        }
      }
    ]
    11:06:01.439|Info   |SQL Compare         |10 |Usage reporting request made to https://featureusage.red-gate.com/v1/usageevents
      Number of submitted usage events = 1
      HTTP status code = 204 NoContent
      Response body =
    11:06:15.877|Error  |Engine Service      |1  |Comparison failed
    System.AggregateException: One or more errors occurred. ---> System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object

Any idea what would cause this - seems like a blip post-frequent-update ?