SQL Search does not working on SSMS 2016

MarioMario Posts: 10 Bronze 1

Hello,

I installed SQl-Search without any issues, but when i start the tooln all selection fields are disabled (grayed out). So I'm not able to use the tool. Have you any idea, how I can fix this problem?

Kind Regards,

Mario

Tagged:

Answers

• Hi Mario,

Have you opened any server connections? SQL Search can use any connections you have open, if you try to connect to a SQL Server instance the boxes should stop being greyed out.

Thanks,
    Asha
  • MarioMario Posts: 10 Bronze 1

Hello Asha,

thanks you for your quick reply. Yes, I'm connected to a server, bu the fields stay disabled.

Kind regards,

Mario

• seekwellseekwell Posts: 1 New member
    Hi, I am seeing the same issue. Did you ever find a solution you can share?
  • JPPJPP Posts: 2 New member
    Same issue for me as well. I just installed v3.1.6.2050.
  • Hm interesting. Has anyone used a previous version of SQL Search and had it work normally? If so it looks like this could have been a problem introduced in the latest version.
  • Also can you confirm the version of SQL Search you are using? The most recent version should be v3.1.6.2042.

Thanks,
    Asha

Hello Asha,

I'm using Version 3.1.6.2050

I do not know if i used a previous version, but the tool did not work right from the beginnig.

King Regards,

Mario

• Hi Mario,

Have you set any non-default options in the SQL Server connection you are currently connected to? For instance, are you using an encrypted connection or not trusting the server certificate?

Thanks,
    Asha
  • seeker5csseeker5cs Posts: 5 New member
    Has anyone come up with a solution to this. We are running the latest downloadable version of SQL Search on SSMS 2016 (both are fresh installs) all search items are grayed out
    Unfortunately, I could not find a solution. That's why I installed SSMS 2014 again. There SQL Search works without problems. However, I would be happy to find a solution to the problem.
  • Hi,

We have found a potential issue that could be stopping SQL Search from working. We recently introduced some functionality where SQL Search would remember some of your preferences and store this in an xml file to carry those preferences forward. It seems this file can end up corrupted and in some cases this stops SQL Search from working. 

We haven't tracked down the cause yet, but in the meantime you can rectify this by deleting the file at "C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\Red Gate\SQLSearch 3\SavedSettings.xml". Hopefully on the next startup SQL Search will appear again.

Sorry about this, I hope this works for you!
    Asha
  • dsmsqldsmsql Posts: 1 New member
    I had this same issue with SSMS 18.4 connecting to a Sql Server 2014 database. I am not sure what caused the issue, but simply restarting ssms was able to fix the issue. The only thing that I did that may have had an impact is that I changed some of the settings within sql prompt. 
  • Same issue but the problem was caused by the file "LoggingConfiguration.XML". I removed it and Search became active again. The other file mentioned previously was no on my PC.
  • drotherdrother Posts: 4 Bronze 1
    I have deleted LoggingConfiguration.xml from the directory indicated and restarted SSMS.  The file LoggingConfiguration.xml is recreated and I am still unable to use SQL Search with a SQL Server 2014 instance.
  • I know this is an old issue, but I've had this issue and found this corrects it.  Delete or rename this folder:  C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\Red Gate\SQLSearch 3