ReadyRoll causing hang after loading solution in VS2017

gregfiggregfig Posts: 27 Bronze 2
Hey there,

Is anyone else having a problem with the latest ReadyRoll release (1.17.18144.10163) under Visual Studio 2017 v 15.7.2?  After installing this update, all solutions with a ReadyRoll project hangs Visual Studio 2017 indefinitely after the solution loads.

I had to revert back to 1.14.17.5347 to alleviate the problem.  Lost a ton of time on this issue.  I, of course, initially blamed Microsoft, I thought it was a problem with 15.7.2, turns out, that was pre-mature Microsoft bashing.

Thanks, Greg
Tagged:

Best Answer

Answers

• LuukLuuk Posts: 2 New member
    edited May 28, 2018 12:19PM
    Me and my colleagues are having the same problem. I will try reverting to version 1.14. 
    Reverting to version 1.14 works for me too.
  • gregfiggregfig Posts: 27 Bronze 2
    Luuk said:
    Me and my colleagues are having the same problem. I will try reverting to version 1.14. 
    Reverting to version 1.14 works for me too.
    I'm glad my post helped... Hopefully you didn't waste as much time on it as I did...  Just wish Redgate would chime in!

• MathieuMathieu Posts: 5 Bronze 1
    I'm having the same issue... thought is was Visual Studio at first, then Jetbrains Resharper... turns out it is RR 1.17. Please fix it Red-Gate
  • LuukLuuk Posts: 2 New member
    I have submitted a support request to Red Gate. They are investigating.
    Luuk said:
    I have submitted a support request to Red Gate. They are investigating.
    Thanks
  • dnlnlndnlnln Posts: 234 Gold 2
    edited May 29, 2018 9:53AM
    Just to echo what Luuk said, the development team is now investigating the issue as a priority. I'll update this thread as soon as I have any news.

Apologies for the inconvenience caused by this problem. Affected ReadyRoll Pro customers can download the previous version here:
    ftp://support.red-gate.com/patches/ReadyRoll/17Apr2018/ReadyRoll_1.16.18107.9507.exe
    Daniel Nolan
    Product Manager
    Redgate Software
    My current workaround is that ReadyRoll Pro v1.17 is installed, but I reverted back to v1.14 of the ReadyRoll Visual Studio Extension. That seems to be working. Is there any danger in temporarily working like this, with these two components out of sync ?
    edited May 30, 2018 1:00AM
    Mathieu said:
    My current workaround is that ReadyRoll Pro v1.17 is installed, but I reverted back to v1.14 of the ReadyRoll Visual Studio Extension. That seems to be working. Is there any danger in temporarily working like this, with these two components out of sync ?
    If the extension was reverted to v1.14 in VS2017, then effectively everything related to the tool-window, project system and build system will also be on v1.14 (unless the ReadyRoll.MSBuild NuGet package was installed, however). The only part of ReadyRoll Pro that will remain on v1.17 will be the Redgate Client windows service, but that should not conflict with the extension.

Note that, if you're also using VS2015, then this will remain on v1.17 and therefore still possibly be subject to the freezing issue. Only uninstalling v1.17 from Add/Remove Programs and installing an earlier version will resolve the issue in VS2015.
    Daniel Nolan
    Product Manager
    Redgate Software
  • dannettdannett Posts: 10 New member
    Is there a download link for the previous version of the VSIX file?

Thanks

• dannettdannett Posts: 10 New member
    Just a quick follow up, when updating through 'Extensions and Updates' a browser is shown and it downloads the ReadyRoll Pro .EXE rather than a .VSIX. I presume this is incorrect?
    edited May 31, 2018 7:51AM
    dannett said:
    Just a quick follow up, when updating through 'Extensions and Updates' a browser is shown and it downloads the ReadyRoll Pro .EXE rather than a .VSIX. I presume this is incorrect?
    I believe you're quite right. I've raised this with the team and will get back to you ASAP.  This has now been corrected on the VS Marketplace; the VSIX should now be used to apply the update.

With regard to your earlier question, unfortunately there is not currently a way to access historical VSIX installers via either the VS Marketplace or the Redgate website.
    Daniel Nolan
    Product Manager
    Redgate Software
  • gregfiggregfig Posts: 27 Bronze 2
    Though I installed the update before your fixed the VSIX problem, the update has corrected the problem.  Thanks to all!