Unable to use LocalDB with SmartAssembly

Hello,

I created a localdb instace called SmartAssembly and started it.
I confirmed that the db is running, bot using the command line tool (sqllocaldb i SmartAssembly) and using LinqPad. However, when I enter (localdb)\SmartAssembly, or (LocalDB)\SmartAssembly or (LocalDb\SmartAssembly), SA keeps showing an error ("Could not connect to the SQL Server.")

What am I doing wrong? Although I did not find a direct documentation, the page below says: "MSSQL, MSSQL Express, SQL Server developer edition and LocalDB are supported".

https://documentation.red-gate.com/sa6/upgrading/migrating-your-smartassembly-database-to-sql

Thanks in advance for your time.
Tagged:

Answers

• RichardLRichardL Posts: 417 Gold 4
    Hi @csaba_fabian

Thanks for your post. 

If you drop the '\SmartAssembly' from the format you're written above then it should connect. 

I hope this helps. 

Kind regards

Richard Lynch. 
    Customer Support
    Redgate Software
  • csaba_fabiancsaba_fabian Posts: 4 New member
    SOLVED. See next post.

No luck. (Forgot to specify in original post that I am using SmartAssembly v6.12.3.697.)

I realized that if I restart SA after changing the setting, I get more informative error messages, so here they are.

When I try "(LocalDb)", "(localdb)" or "localdb", I get the following message at startup:

"(localdb)\SmartAssembly", if I create the local db instance called SmartAssembly results in 

If the localdb instance does not exist, it shows

• csaba_fabiancsaba_fabian Posts: 4 New member
    So, looking at the last two error messages gave me the idea...

I created the db manually, specifying the path to the mdf file explicitely:

CREATE DATABASE SmartAssembly ON (
    NAME='SmartAssembly',
    FILENAME='<LOCALAPPDATA>\Microsoft\Microsoft SQL Server Local DB\Instances\SmartAssembly\SmartAssembly.mdf'
    )

And there it was, "(localdb)\SmartAssembly" started working. I'll keep you posted if I run into any other issues.