ReadyRoll causing VS2017 to max out cpu

Syc0F3arSyc0F3ar Posts: 3 New member
I am currently running VS2017 15.6.0 and upgrade ReadyRoll to the latest version 1.16.18059.8649. After a certain amount of time, my CPU is maxed at 100% and VS2017 is unresponsive. This usually happens after I run my application in debug once. If I disable ReadyRoll for VS2017, Visual Studio runs without any issues. If I revert ReadyRoll back to 1.14.17.5347, VS2017 also runs without any issues.
Tagged:

Answers

• RichardLRichardL Posts: 417 Gold 4
    Hi @user,

Thanks for your post.

This looks like a question that one of Support engineers will need to investigate for you.

If you've a got support contract, please send us a ticket. Provide as much information as you can - screenshots of any errors, log files etc – so we can help you as fast as possible.
    If you're not covered by a Support contract at the moment, email our Sales team at sales@red-gate.com, and they'll be able to help.
    Customer Support
    Redgate Software
  • Syc0F3arSyc0F3ar Posts: 3 New member
    There are no errors that are generated, it just causes VS2017 to max out the CPU. I do not have a support contract. This is the core version that comes with VS2017. Currently we are evaluating to see if ReadyRoll can meet our needs and aren't going to be purchasing anything unless it does. So far it has been great, but if it causing VS2017 to max out the CPU, this isn't something we will want to rely on going forward. If there is a way I can turn on logging for ReadyRoll and see what it creates I will gladly send that to you guys.
  • johnmojohnmo Posts: 4 New member
    edited March 9, 2018 6:11PM
    This happened to me also. I'm also evaluating ReadyRoll. It's not a problem now, but I'm unclear if maybe a reboot corrected it or if switching from the Core version to the full evaluation version corrected it.
  • I also was seeing high cpu usage 40% with either ReadyRoll for VS2017 or SQL Prompt Core extensions enabled. I enabled\disabled the two extensions with all different combinations to verify it wasn't a fluke. The high cpu would go away with both extensions disabled.
    This is the free version included with Enterprise edition.
    I noticed the same behavior with both Visual Studio Enterprise 2017 15.6.1 preview 1.0 and Enterprise Version 15.6.1
    I have the most recent Extensions versions for both ReadyRoll and SQL Prompt.
    I tried what Johnmo suggested. I clicked to try Pro version. I then restarted Visual Studio.
    The high CPU utilization went away for both Visual Studio Preview and normal version.
    I'll see what happens at the end of the trial period to see if it comes back.

I noticed a similar problem with SSMS 17.5. I had the full SQL Toolbelt evaluation installed, so I'm not sure exactly which piece was causing the problem, but uninstalling everything has returned my SSMS CPU usage to return to normal.
    I think I've figured it out. If the RedgateClient Windows service is stopped, applications using Redgate add-ins will have high CPU utilization as the Redgate add-in software is presumably trying to phone home continuously via a service that is unavailable.
  • RBARBA Posts: 152 Silver 3
    Thanks for reporting this — I've changed the reconnection behaviour to cease polling when no connection is likely to be established. This change will be included in a future product update but whilst the fix is pending the issue can be addressed by starting that service.

If the RedgateClient service isn't installed in the first place, clicking 'start trial' in the free version will install it. The free version will still work when the Pro trial expires.
    Robin Anderson
    Development
    Red-Gate Software
  • Syc0F3arSyc0F3ar Posts: 3 New member
    Awesome.  Thanks johnmo for figuring this out.

Redgate,

Any idea on the time frame when this will be released?
  • The team is now incorporating the service update into the product. All going well, a fix should be out early next week. I'll update this thread once that's available.
    Daniel Nolan
    Product Manager
    Redgate Software
  • Thank you for your patience. ReadyRoll 1.16.18088 is now available which includes a fix for the client service.

If you continue to encounter issues with CPU utilization, please let us know.
    Daniel Nolan
    Product Manager
    Redgate Software