Pricing.

MartinSmithMartinSmith Posts: 12
edited January 27, 2007 2:40PM in SQL Refactor Previous Versions
I installed SQL refactor and whilst I liked the SQL reformat option I didn't really think that it was worth $295 (the same as the infinitely more useful SQL Compare) for what is essentially a beta product with some bugs and not that many features. Does the price cover upgrades to future versions and if so is there a road map for what the full feature set will be?

Comments

• Brian DonahueBrian Donahue Posts: 6,590 Bronze 1
    Hello Martin,

I'm sorry that you feel this way. I suppose the worth of the product is defined as how useful you find it in the environment in which you work. The refactorings that we had chosen to implement were the ones that users found most useful as the result of many surveys and other contacts with our users. In particular, smart rename saved lots of people uncounted hours of investigation into the effects of renaming an object, and table split has helped people optimize the relationships between their existing data.

The upgrade policy here is that you will get minor versions (point releases) at no cost, but major versions are only available for purchasers that have a support and upgrades contract running at the time of the upgrade.

You may be interested in the development roadmap that we publish here:

http://www.red-gate.com/about/roadmap.htm
  • Hi Brian,

Thanks for your reply.

I also program in C# and use Resharper.

I have no qualms at all about paying the $249 license for that as the feature list is rich, and I feel it helps me improve my C# with its optimisation suggestions.

I like the idea of SQL refactor but I personally will be waiting a few versions for the functionality to expand before even considering asking my boss to spend the money on it.

By way of comparison Visual Studio 2005 standard edition is currently $267.99 on Amazon.com

Do you honestly believe SQL 2005 refactor in it's current incarnation is worth more?