ReadyRoll Database deploy package

RoMaRoMa Posts: 1 New member
edited February 21, 2018 4:47PM in ReadyRoll
Hey,
I am trying to test readyroll to deploy database with octopus. i have added the step template and created the release with all the variables, my deployment succeeded but there is warning saying it failed to create the snapshot.

"Warning: Failed to read snapshot from file: Cannot find path 'C:\Octopus\OD-DEV\Applications\My.Test\ABC.DataManagement.TaskProcessor.Database\0.0.0.0_2\ABC.DataManagement.TaskProcessor.Database_Snapshot.nupkg.bin' because it does not exist.

Writing snapshot to target database

No snapshot will be written to the target database. Reports will be unavailable for the next deployment."

Can anyone please let me know what could be the possible solution for this.

Thank you!!

Answers

• Hi @RoMa

Thanks for your post.

This looks like a question that one of Support engineers will need to investigate for you.

If you've a got support contract, please send us a ticket. Provide as much information as you can - screenshots of any errors, log files etc – so we can help you as fast as possible.
    If you're not covered by a Support contract at the moment, email our Sales team at sales@red-gate.com, and they'll be able to help.
    Customer Support
    Redgate Software
  • SteveiwonderSteveiwonder Posts: 3 New member
    Hi did this ever get resolved? I've got he same problem
  • RichardLRichardL Posts: 417 Gold 4
    Hi @Steveiwonder

Thanks for your post. 

If you have a support contract can you please send us a ticket so that we can investigate this for you? 
    Customer Support
    Redgate Software
  • newsoftnewsoft Posts: 3 New member
    I have the exact same issue , setting up my first readyroll deploy using octopus. Btw your docs needs a refresh screenshots and information seems to reflect an older version of octopus and options are different / does not exists.
  • dnlnlndnlnln Posts: 234 Gold 2
    edited March 23, 2018 3:39AM
    Apologies for the delay in providing a response to this query.

This warning occurs due to the lack of a snapshot file in the nupkg file. The snapshot is usually produced during the build process, however if the build configuration does not include the ShadowServer property, then the snapshot will not be created, leading to the warning.

To configure this property, and for more context on how/why the snapshot is used, please see Continuous Integration > Shadow Database.

The current wording of the message was written to reflect the changes that were recently made to the way that reports are generated, however I can appreciate that in this case the information provided is not very helpful. I'll feed this back to the team to see how the warning message could be improved (or possibly suppressed, if desired). I also note the fact that the Octopus Deploy article could use some revising.
    Daniel Nolan
    Product Manager
    Redgate Software
    I also suggest it does not raise a warning as our database deployment is part of our entire solution deploy and then entire deploy show as partial-success because we did not enable an optional feature ?
  • Thanks for that feedback. A fix is currently in the works for the issue with warnings in Octopus Deploy. I'll provide an update on it's progress shortly.
    Daniel Nolan
    Product Manager
    Redgate Software
    Ok thanks, I did add the shadow config in my tfs msbuild build task and the warning is gone, thanks. It would also help if you just copy past your previous post to the octopus documentation on the website 
  • dnlnlndnlnln Posts: 234 Gold 2
    edited April 3, 2018 8:23AM
    Good point, I've now made that change to the Octopus Deploy documentation to include a note about the ShadowServer property.

I'll update this thread once the article has been fully refreshed.

Also, fix for the warning message is now pending release. It should be out if not today then early next week.
    A fix for the release-time warning is now available as part of ReadyRoll 1.16.18088.
    Daniel Nolan
    Product Manager
    Redgate Software