Options

Is there a way to share common views and routine across ready roll projects?

griff182ukgriff182uk Posts: 9 New member
Basically I have a common library of SQL tools I would like to share across all my databases and wondered if ready roll supported that.

Best Answer

• Options
    dnlnlndnlnln Posts: 234 Gold 2
    Please note that this solution requires ReadyRoll Pro.

Unfortunately ReadyRoll does not have built-in support for common library projects. However if your version control system supports symlinks, you could create one ReadyRoll project containing all your common objects (as Programmable Objects), and then create symlinks to those files from other ReadyRoll projects. This means that, whenever you update a script in the common project, they will be included in the deployment of any projects where the symlinks are created. If you're using Git, this bash script may well with creating the symlinks:
    https://coderwall.com/p/z86txw/make-symlink-on-windows-in-a-git-repo

I hope this helps. Any questions please let me know.
    Daniel Nolan
    Product Manager
    Redgate Software

Answers

• Options
    RichardLRichardL Posts: 417 Gold 4
    Hi @griff182uk

Thanks for your post. 

What tools are you referring to? 

I look forward to your reply. 

Kind regards

Richard Lynch
    Customer Support
    Redgate Software
  • Options
    For example useful scalar functions or useful views across dmvs. Just so all databases have them as standard from one central location (under source). 
  • Options
    Thanks dnlnln. This looks like something similar to what I have implemented, just linking another project and linking the files. It's a bit risky but the best we have as accidental file removals can break a lot of builds. Ideally I would like to use something analogous to nugets, but for both ready roll and dacpacs, this doesn't look like its going to happen anytime soon.
    Unfortunately also not using git yet, but hellbent on moving over to it, and I am thinking the gitversion add-in might help make more meaningful file linkages for SQL based projects.
    I'll make this as the answer but am still hoping others out there have some great hair-brained schemes for this as it would be a really useful feature.