Options

SQL Management Studio Freezes

KirkKirk Posts: 4 Bronze 1
Hi,

I installed the Redgate software last week but I am finding it is making my SSMS freeze every time it is left unused for any period - and forces me to kill the task and restart it.

Is this a known issue and is there a solution?

Thanks!
Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    Hi Kirk,

There are quite a few Redgate SSMS plugins that could affect your SSMS installation. You could try uninstalling any of these that appear under "Programs and Features", especially if you're not actually making use of their features:

- SSMS Integration Pack
    - SQL Source Control
    - SQL Search
    - SQL Doc
    - SQL Prompt

If any of those were the cause of your problems, we'd appreciate it if you could send the logs to our support team, who can hopefully identify the cause of the problem.

Additionally, it would really help Redgate (or any other vendor that might be causing the crash) if you send error reports when the crash dialog appears after you kill SSMS. The report goes to Microsoft but they do inform any plugin vendors that cause enough problems.
    Software Developer
    Redgate Software
  • Options
    KirkKirk Posts: 4 Bronze 1
    Hi, all of those plug-ins were installed at instalaltion time. As I am new to the software, I'm still not sure what I will need and what I won't.
    Rather than uninstalling the plug-ins one-by-one, isn't there a way of simply just disabling them until you need to use them?
    I'm guessing that the SSMS Integration Pack might be the likeliest cause of the problem, however....
  • Options
    I think it's possible (e.g. delete the registry keys that SSMS uses to find those plugins) but more difficult than uninstalling and reinstalling the products, sorry. Some of the plugins have their own ways of disabling most of the products functionality without actually unloading them (e.g. Enable Suggestions on the Prompt menu in SSMS).

Hope this helps,
    Sam.
    Software Developer
    Redgate Software
  • Options
    I am having this same issue and I only have SQL Prompt 7 and SQL Search 2. Every time I leave the box for a while and come back SSM is completely unresponsive and I have to terminate it and restart. This is happening on multiple boxes.
  • Options
    loanburgerloanburger Posts: 2 New member
    As of today I am still experiencing the freezing issue with SQL PROMPT

Other issues I am having:
    - I have a professional license but constantly the license will get lost and I keep getting told the license has expired. Once I login again it shows license activated.
    - SSMS will become completely frozen using over 2900MB of ram. killing off SQL Prompt will fix the freezing but its not a solution given we are paying customer.

SQL Prompt is becoming as useless and Resharper has become for Visual Studio.
  • Options
    jledmondsjledmonds Posts: 1 New member
    edited January 23, 2018 6:24PM
    loanburger wrote: »
    As of today I am still experiencing the freezing issue with SQL PROMPT

Other issues I am having:
    - I have a professional license but constantly the license will get lost and I keep getting told the license has expired. Once I login again it shows license activated.
    - SSMS will become completely frozen using over 2900MB of ram. killing off SQL Prompt will fix the freezing but its not a solution given we are paying customer.

SQL Prompt is becoming as useless and Resharper has become for Visual Studio.

Both I and a co-worker of mine have been experiencing the same problem. For me, it's occurred several times a day on both SSMS 2017 and SSMS 2016. After disabling SQL Prompt yesterday, the freezing hasn't happened since.
  • Options
    LucLuc Posts: 13 Bronze 1
    I'm experiencing this issue too. :(
  • Options
    rjuddrjudd Posts: 1 New member
    SQL Prompt appears to crash my instance of SSMS 17.5. Often after the SQL prompt popup appears to offer completion suggestions SSMS freezes and has to be restarted. If I disable SQL Prompt the freezing stops.
  • Options
    MaesMaes Posts: 2 Bronze 1
    Is RedGate working on this issue? It is troubling me and my coworkers serveral times a day.
    Also, instead of just freezing SSMS, occasionally the entire computer locks up for about 2 minutes until SSMS crashes completely. 
    We use too much of SQL Prompt to disable/uninstall the plugin. Besides, we paid for it. 
    I would classify this is a critical bug!
  • Options
    loanburgerloanburger Posts: 2 New member
    edited March 20, 2018 9:26AM
    I have been speaking to Redgate about this issue and have a solition which has fixed the issue for me. Been running SSMS without problems for the pas 2 weeks.

In SSMS go to options and disable the SSMS intellisence. If I remember right its under Options->Text Editor->Transact-SQL->Intellisense.  It seems to clash with Redgate's SQL Prompt.  Once disabled restart SSMS. 

Fixed the issue for is at work.
  • Options
    RichardLRichardL Posts: 417 Gold 4
    Hi guys. 

Thanks for your posts. 

Just to reiterate what @loanburger was saying re our team's investigation in to this. 

You can disable the built-in intellisense under Options->Text Editor->Transact-SQL->Intellisense, does the problem persist? (this has been known to clash with Prompt in the past and cause slowdowns due to excessive memory usage)

I hope this helps you all and thank you again for your posts. 

Best

Richard Lynch. 
    Customer Support
    Redgate Software
  • Options
    MaesMaes Posts: 2 Bronze 1
    Hi loanburger & RichardL,

Not only did your solution fix our problem, it has also somehow added a lot more SQLPrompt functionality than we previously had available. 
    For example, we now have the green squiggly lines giving hints/tips.

Thanks!