Cross site server timeout

mynameisjodymynameisjody Posts: 8
edited July 10, 2007 11:48AM in SQL Prompt Previous Versions
We have an off site SQL server here with a fairly slow connection due to encryption, traffic, etc. During moderatly slow times (as opposed to 7am before anyone gets here), SQL Prompt 3 fails to load table data and gives a timeout-esque error. After this error occurs, QA is much more likely to freeze, and will a minute or two (literally) to start the next time I try with SQL Prompt integration. Mind you I have to end the QA process to try to start it again.

The "loading metadata" popup does appear in the lower right corner, but no green progress bars ever appear, and I eventually get the error "sql prompt could not retrieve the database schema: <DBNAME> The database may no longer be present or a network connection could not be established.

Couple items of note.
-- I am using windows authentication
-- The other server is on a separate domain from my local domain
-- SQL Prompt 2 normally handles this well, but sometimes will pop open the connection window with SQL authentication selected -- i change it to windows and it is handled fine after that.

Any idea if this can/will be solved by either something I can do on my end, or something you can do on yours?

Much appreciated! !

-Jody
-Jody

Comments

• Bart ReadBart Read Posts: 997 Silver 1
    Hi Jody,

Sorry to hear you're having problems. I think the best thing to do is try to cache the database at a quiet time and then not refresh that particular database unless you absolutely have to.

The other thing you can do is if you're not too bothered about code completion for that database, and it's causing you a lot of hassle, just blacklist the database so SQL Prompt won't try to cache it. To do this click on the SQL Prompt > Options menu item then go to the Connections tab and add the database under "Servers and Databases to Ignore".

I'm not sure why it's timing out, it could be a problem with connecting (unlikely) or it might be a timeout occurring on one of the queries that SQL Compare executes to retrieve meta-data. I wouldn't be surprised to find that a really slow network connection causes problems as we do pull an awful lot of data back, particularly in terms of stored procedure text etc. There's no way to stop that happening either.

We will be doing more work on the meta-data model in the future which might correct this, but that's obviously not much good to you now. Other than that I'm afraid I'm not really sure what else to suggest. Sorry I can't be more helpful.

Thanks,
    Bart
    Bart Read
    Principal Consultant
    bartread.com Ltd
  • Unfortunately it is on this DB that the code completion is most helpful for me. I would easily chalk it up to the cross domain windows authentication. Mind you, i mean that I am running QA on this domain with a connection to the server on the other domain. It's also a shame the SQL Prompt 2 handled this pretty well. But thanks for your input and I'll keep watching for updates.
    -Jody
    Hmm... whatever it is I don't think it's anything to do with the cross-domain login: I do that kind of thing all the time, and over VPN and that works fine too. I think we might have to put some better error logging in the next version since at the moment I'm at a complete loss I'm afraid.
    Thanks,
    Bart
    Bart Read
    Principal Consultant
    bartread.com Ltd
    Hi Jody,

We've tried to sort out all the VPN related issues in SQL Prompt 3.1. You can grab an early access release by following the instructions at:

http://www.red-gate.com/MessageBoard/vi ... php?t=4487

Hope that helps.

Thanks,
    Bart
    Bart Read
    Principal Consultant
    bartread.com Ltd
  • From reading posts in this forum, it looks like my problem is that I'm not DBO on databases on that server. SQL prompt 2 worked just fine on that server. Are there any plans to have...less complete metadata for those of us with DB Reader access only? (I'm on SQL 2000, so the VIEW DEFINITION workaround won't help me I think)
    -Jody