How do you use cloud databases? Take the survey.

7.1.18 - Alerts page cannot Count (still)

PDinCAPDinCA Posts: 642 Silver 1
edited February 28, 2018 6:11PM in Redgate Monitor
Server tree says 12, page says 15, but there are only 8 unread, not 12. The filter is on Job Failing, including Cleared.

It's better than the 27 Alert-count I had with dot-17 for an empty page with no filtering, but it's a tad misleading...

NOT using any grouping at all...

Guessing the tree is oblivious of any filtering in effect - perhaps it ought not be...?
Jesus Christ: Lunatic, liar or Lord?
Decide wisely...
Tagged:

Answers

• Hi @PDinCA

I do think this is intended, though I will clarify that with the team - as you noticed it's not taking into account the filtering you may have done and gives the number of unread alerts you have at that level.

So I have a server that shows "ServerName (165)" and when I filter it to only show the 40 Backup Overdue alerts, it still shows 165. Also, when I clear the filter, it tells me there are 170 alerts for that server, if I then uncheck "Read" in the filter, it then gives me the 165 that is indicated by the parenthesized number.

As I said, I'll double check this, but I think we intend to let you know how many you haven't looked at overall.

Kind regards,
    Alex
    Product Support Engineer | Redgate Software

Have you visited our Help Center?
  • PDinCAPDinCA Posts: 642 Silver 1
    Thanks, Alex, but IMO that's a very bad decision for Red Gate to have made.

Consider that, as you saw from the attached image, I have 7 groups under my server tree. I click on the root, giving me the entire list. I set the filter THERE.

Red Gate says I must click down every node to see if any of my 21 servers has an alert of that kind, AFTER I have clicked on one of my group nodes to see "how do I fare in this group of servers?"

It makes no sense to show overall numbers when I have explicitly filtered to see the wood for the trees. My count-granularity should always reflect filtering at all levels. It's uninformative to see "you have 350 unread Alerts" all the time, when the issue I am looking at applies to a handful of servers and a couple of handfuls of unread alerts of my filter type...

At worst, please give us a configuration that says "always show total unread" or "Show filter-level unread" so the tree makes sense and I can navigate via the tree rather than by the jumble of alerts in the all-servers detail list...

Thanks for your consideration.
    Decide wisely...
  • Alex BAlex B Posts: 1,131 Diamond 4
    Hi @PDinCA

That is a fair point and the team agree - though I do still think it would be good to be made aware of the total number of unread in case one forgets they've filtered the view perhaps... Maybe something like:

ServerName (165 - 40 filtered)
    or
    ServerName (165[40])

Or something a UX person is probably better able to come up with :smile:

Kind regards,
    Alex
    Product Support Engineer | Redgate Software

Have you visited our Help Center?
  • PDinCAPDinCA Posts: 642 Silver 1
    Thanks for the warm reception re the filtered count, Alex.

Yes, something along the lines of the dual-number display would be great. I'd vote for filter-count first, as in 5 of 135, bolded for not-read as currently exhibited.

Cheers!
    Decide wisely...