Does this Exist? or New Feature Request -- Ability to select individual compare diff lines to deploy

It would be very handy when comparing objects like stored procedures, tables, etc. to be able to choose individual difference lines between the source and target objects to either add or remove based on direction of deployment. Even if it didn't deploy due to compile errors, give the error so other needed lines could be selected or at least to build a script that can be corrected and run from SSMS.
Tagged:

Best Answer

• David AtkinsonDavid Atkinson Posts: 1,431 Rose Gold 2
    I guess that the analogy in app development is two parallel streams of development on different branches, which would normally be resolved using a merge tool. I'd suggest you take a similar approach, but I'm guessing from the context that you're not currently managing these changes in version control?
    David Atkinson
    Product Manager
    Redgate Software

Answers

• Out of interest, what is the scenario where you require changes to move both ways? Are these both dev instances, or is it dev vs production?
    David Atkinson
    Product Manager
    Redgate Software
  • tsorentsoren Posts: 15 Bronze 2
    I don't mean changes in both directions at once, but rather lets say a SP in Dev has multiple changes made for different reasons lets call them Change #1 and Change #2 that each can be multiple line changes throughout the SP. As I review the differences and want to highlight just the lines related to Change #2 to create an updated SP with just the changes related to Change #2 and leave the differences in tact related to Change #1.
  • tsorentsoren Posts: 15 Bronze 2
    Yes, that is how I would typically address too. The client I am working with does not yet have such a tool despite multiple developers in same DB. Was looking for a simple work-around for now. Thanks.
  • You might be able to automate something with the SQL Compare command line. Ie, sync DB_A to a folder, sync DB_B to a different folder and use a merge tool to either auto-merge or manually merge the two, and sync back the result back to the databases in question.
    David Atkinson
    Product Manager
    Redgate Software