WCF???

Hello,

does your profiler work with WCF services???
Based on my tests, although .svc file are registered with the asp.net 2.0 isapi filter, your profiler never starts tracing requests made to WCF exposed services.
In fact, I was also testing another profiler on the same machine (which WAS working fine with WCF services) and after installing yours. it stopped working!!!). And even uninstalling your profiler was not enough to restore it to a working condition.

Regards,
Steve

Comments

• Brian DonahueBrian Donahue Posts: 6,590 Bronze 1
    Hello Steve,

As far as I have been made aware, ANTS Profiler 2.7 works with WCF applications. I can say that installing other profilers that do code instrumentation like ANTS Profiler does can cause a problem. The issue could be that the competitor's product leaves information in the user's registry that invokes their profiler instead of ours. If you look at your user hive (HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Environment) and see any registry values beginning with COR_PROFILER, then you will want to delete those. The same information could also exist in the user's registry for the account that runs your ASP .NET code on the same computer.

ANTS Profiler will create these registry entries if needed and clean up after itself when it's finished.
  • Hello Brian,

I'm sorry to say it, but there are no such registry values. Both yours and the other profiler do not add any COR_PROFILER* values.

Steve
    They do this when profiling ASP .NET 1.1. But ANTS will remove the setting when it is finished. The only way that ANTS Profiler would interfere with any other code profiler would be if COR_PROFILER is set for the ANTS core component, otherwise, there is no connection between ANTS and any other applications.
  • Brian,

the interference thing is only part of the problem. As I already said, your profiler does not seem to work. And I have not been able to find *any* COR_PROFILER registry values under the registry keys you suggested either made by your profiler or by another profiler. And for WCF services, these may only be hosted by asp.net 2.0, not asp.net 1.1.

Steve
    Right... I was paying particular attention to the Profiler causing other profilers not to work problem and not the other thing. I think my final comment on this is to wait until ANTS Profiler 3, because the application will be tested against WCF applications. The current version probably doesn't work in certain circumstances.