UD Aliases Whacked and Auto-Insert options lost

PDinCAPDinCA Posts: 642 Silver 1
edited January 25, 2007 6:13AM in SQL Prompt Previous Versions
Just installed "real" version over the final beta - patched version (Build 819) having uninstalled the beta as instructed by RG (config files were preserved in %USERPROFILE%\Local Settings\Application Data\Red Gate\SQL Prompt 3):
    1. All my User-defined aliases have been whacked! 2. Hand-merging of the EngineOptions.xml file will be undertaken (yet again!!!) 3. Auto Insert options were not preserved (I only auto-close Brackets, but the Single Quote and Comment were checked for me)
(Modified from my faux-pas version... OOPS! Apologies for the red herring :oops: )
Jesus Christ: Lunatic, liar or Lord?
Decide wisely...

Comments

• Bart ReadBart Read Posts: 997 Silver 1
    Hi Stephen,

Could you go to the About box (in either editor click on SQL Prompt > About) and verify that the version you have installed is 3.0.0.868 please?

Thanks,
    Bart
    Bart Read
    Principal Consultant
    bartread.com Ltd
  • PDinCAPDinCA Posts: 642 Silver 1
    3.0.0.868 it is...
    Decide wisely...
    Interesting.... we haven't changed anything back. Could you please be specific about (i) what options you have now, and (ii) what options are missing that were previously present?
    Thanks,
    Bart
    Bart Read
    Principal Consultant
    bartread.com Ltd
    Please see revised initial post... My bad for the mistake in the post :oops: , but there are two issues... points 1 and 3.
    Decide wisely...
    OK thanks Stephen, that's somewhat less worrying but still rather bizarre. I tried an install over an old EngineOptions.xml file here and it picked up all my settings fine. The only time this ever causes a problem is if you've used TextPad to manually edit the file. We're still not quite sure why this particular editor causes a problem, but it's best avoided, at least for this task (otherwise I think it's great).

I can only apologise that this has happened to you again: it's just weird. I don't know how you're going about merging your files, but if you've never looked at it before I'd suggest this rather fantastic (free) tool:

http://winmerge.org/

At any rate it looks like we're going to need to test this area more extensively to avoid this problem for any patch releases we might announce or it's really going to become annoying for people.

Thanks,
    Bart
    Bart Read
    Principal Consultant
    bartread.com Ltd
    Strange, I only used Notepad to make the changes... totally an eyeball-copy-paste super-advanced-technology solution :wink:

Thanks for the winmerge URL - I'll take a look...
    Decide wisely...
    It'll make snippet merging a lot less error prone, although you'll still have to update the pesky count property, which is purely due to my laziness at the time (it means you have to write about half as much code to read the file back :) ), however I will be eradicating the use of that from all the back-end configuration files wherever it appears. I think it's only in the snippets now anyway.
    Thanks,
    Bart
    Bart Read
    Principal Consultant
    bartread.com Ltd