Getting false results in 3.0.x

I'm running Search 3.0.5.1607 in SSMS 17.3 (14.0.17199.0) on Windows 10 and am consistently getting false results. Results that don't have the string I'm looking for, results that match on text but not columns, and missing results. Below are examples of what I mean.

Searching for a column named IsConfidential gives me results which clearly don't have anything remotely connected with the column, matching on both column and text:
3ks4npiauvna.png
wtn9pkgyyut3.png

Here is an example which is partially correct, matching on text, but ought to have a companion entry matching on column too.
w4k70hlywxja.png

Finally, if I check the "Exact Match" box, I no longer see many of the objects which I ought to see.
e98wcyptghy2.png

Any ideas?
Tagged:

Comments

• ChuckBChuckB Posts: 1 New member
    Can someone from Redgate respond to this please? I too have this problem and I'm trying to convince my company to purchase your toolbox...help!
  • cell001ukcell001uk Posts: 12 Bronze 1
    Same here, though I'm on Win 7. It's so bad there is no way I can trust Sql Search with anything at the moment, which is a pity as it's an essential tool when working properly.

I'm on SSMS 17.3 Version #14.0.17199.0 connecting to SqlServer 2014 and local SqlExpress 2014
  • ccchildersccchilders Posts: 8 New member
    edited December 7, 2017 2:40PM
    Same here, I have tried uninstalling it and re-installing it. I am on Windows 10. The sql server is 2008R2.
  • Is anyone from RedGate looking at this?
    I installed the latest version last week and it didn't help, but there is a new version this week. It fixed my problems.
  • Where did you find the new version? I just downloaded from the site and it's still .1607 -- there's no update option from the menu on this tool.
  • Hi Jason,

Sorry to hear you're experiencing this problem. Have you tried re-indexing? If not, try it and see if it helps.

You can download 3.0.6 here if you'd like to try it. I'm not sure why it would help in this area but it seemed to help @ccchilders.

Finally, if none of the above helps could you send me an object creation script for an object that is matching incorrectly so I can try it?
    Software Engineer
    Redgate Software
  • cell001ukcell001uk Posts: 12 Bronze 1
    edited December 13, 2017 8:12AM
    Hi @Robert C

I've just upgraded to 3.0.6 and can't reproduce right now the search results that were really random, but here's one which I can force a failure with:

You can see the proc has text SELECT clr.Concatenate(v.FundName, ',')

When I change search text from clr.Concatenate(v to clr.Concatenate(v. the search results disappear.

Also, I've re-indexed.

2vcoegyvy1g2.png
    drkyml4v3p1u.png

• Hi @cell001uk,

Thanks for the info! I've been able to reproduce the problem and I've filed a bug report with reference SDI-726. I'll try to let you know as soon as there is any news on this.
    Software Engineer
    Redgate Software
  • Any updates on the bug report,SDI-726? Or is there a way we can check ourselves on its status?
  • Just an update from my side...I sent a PM to Rob with more information on what I see locally. Currently I'm on 3.0.7.1683 and am still getting false positives, and false negatives. If I re-index, it seems to improve...almost to the point of trusting the results again. However I just ran a test using the "exact match" checkbox and it is still not accurate, missing several results which ought to be there even after the reindex.
  • jahummerjahummer Posts: 1 New member
    Just installed 3.0.7.1683 into SSMS Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio 13.0.16106.4 Windows 10. Databases are 2016. I tried searching various text strings and nothing displays. No error message to screen. After wandering around I found the log file which says things like: ERROR RedGate.SQLSearch.Addin.Tab.Controller - Search failed: '<database> on <machine>' is not indexed So I found the Reindex command and have run that numerous times. Does not help. No results. No error message to Screen.
  • rrorro Posts: 3 New member
    I have same version 3.0.7.1683 - and have same problems as described by Jason. SQL Search has been totally unreliable for long time now and is causing huge risk in our everyday work. I use it every day and it very often does not provide the matching results in search, even though it should. Further, often it omits to search in some databases, and there is no error message whatsoever. Even if you mark a specific database, when search is finished it might select another, or in worst case, all databases selected, but results are not coming. We have to switch to another tool if fixing the Search Tool errors are not taken seriously.
  • motionmotionmotionmotion Posts: 7 New member
    Same here, currently using version 3.0.7.1683, but I'm getting mad of SQL Search not working properly for the last month or so. I have to re-index all the time, which it takes about 30 secs in my case, just to get accurate results for 1 or 2 searches, and incorrect searches after this.

It's driving me mad, and starting to get dangerous for the quality of my work.

I there anywhere I can download an older stable version?

I'm proud use of many Red Gate products. I know this one is free, but it's essential for many of us, and I would even happily pay for it. Please take it seriously.
    I thought it helped, but I still have issues. I agree, can we download an older version?
  • motionmotionmotionmotion Posts: 7 New member
    I found 2.4 and older versions here: http://sql-search.software.informer.com/2.4/

Virus checked, and look safe, so I installed version 2.4.

I will report tomorrow if my results are accurate again... hope so!
  • rrorro Posts: 3 New member
    edited January 4, 2018 8:58AM
    Our organisation pays for the tool and for the support. There is no way we can install an older version of the software, it is not allowed and also the meaning with new versions is that they hopefully are improving the tool. We have contacted the Redgate support to let us know on any solution to this issue.
  • Eddie DEddie D Posts: 1,780 Rose Gold 5
    Hi, thank you all the above individuals who have taken the time to create and update this forum post.

We are investigating the problem, the bug report reference is SDI-727.

This new bug report, is related to SDI-726 (see earlier update from RobC), but SDI-726 is regarding the text string entered, ending with the full stop / period character as per the example earlier in the thread:
    Change search text from clr.Concatenate(v to clr.Concatenate(v. the search results disappear.

The problem with inaccurate or false search results being reported are with text strings that do not end with the full stop / period character.

I will update this forum post, when I have further information.

Many Thanks
    Eddie
    Eddie Davis
    Senior Product Support Engineer
    Redgate Software Ltd
    Email: support@red-gate.com
    Hi,

To help me and my colleagues

Would you please increase the minimum logging level (SQL Search Help menu ->Logging ->Minimum log levels:) and set the logging level to verbose.

Reproduce the steps to recreate the problem. When you have recreated the problem, locate the current log file and please either send an email to support@red-gate.com referencing this forum post with a copy of the log file attached for me to review? Or private message me through this forum post.

Many Thanks
    Eddie
    Eddie Davis
    Redgate Software Ltd
  • My attempt to use version 2.4 did not work. I installed it, but then it updated automatically without prompting me to do so. So I'm back on 3.0.7.1683 and facing the same problem.

In my case, the problem is that that after a few searches, the index is somehow lost. Previous versions kept the index continuously updated and very rarely I had to reindex, only to find newly created objects.

With this version, objects are randomly lost in the index, and I have to force reindex almost before every search.

Can someone else confirm this same pattern?
  • KD1KD1 Posts: 6 Bronze 2
    I also have 3.0.7.1683 and agree with your description of the issue.
    I've found it safer to re-index almost every time even though there are no new objects in the database being searched.
    Does anyone know of a similar product which goes a little more in depth? Ex. If I want only the procedures which update a table. It doesn't have to be free.
  • Before SQL Search, I used a little proc to search my code...not nearly as slick or in depth, but I've been going to back to it lately--ya'll are welcome to it. (You'll need a tally or numbers table.)
    CREATE PROCEDURE admin.pFindStringInCode
    	@StringToFind nvarchar(50)
    AS
    SET NOCOUNT ON;

SELECT  
        s.[name] AS SchemaName,
        o.[name] AS ObjectName,
        CAST(DENSE_RANK() OVER (ORDER BY s.[Name], o.[Name]) AS varchar) + '.' + 
        CAST(ROW_NUMBER() OVER (PARTITION BY s.[Name], o.[Name] ORDER BY s.[Name], o.[Name]) AS varchar) AS Instance,
        '...'+SUBSTRING(m.definition, CHARINDEX(@StringToFind, m.definition, n.Number), 100)+'...' AS Snippet 
      FROM
        sys.sql_modules AS m
        JOIN sys.objects AS o ON o.[object_id] = m.[object_id]
        JOIN sys.schemas AS s ON o.[schema_id] = s.[schema_id]
        CROSS JOIN admin.tbl_Numbers AS n
      WHERE 
    	n.Number < LEN(m.definition) 
    	AND SUBSTRING(m.definition, n.Number, LEN(@StringToFind)) = @StringToFind
    	AND m.definition LIKE N'%'+ @StringToFind + N'%'

SET NOCOUNT OFF;

GO

Nothing much, but it works in a pinch.
    Thanks.
    As per my post of the 4th January:

To help me and my colleagues

Would you please increase the minimum logging level (SQL Search Help menu ->Logging ->Minimum log levels:) and set the logging level to verbose.

Reproduce the steps to recreate the problem. When you have recreated the problem, locate the current log file and please either send an email to support@red-gate.com referencing this forum post with a copy of the log file attached for me to review? Or private message me through this forum post.

Many Thanks
    Eddie
    Eddie Davis
    Redgate Software Ltd
  • Ks3Ks3 Posts: 2 New member
    We have experienced issues with SQL Search where it returns false data. We have tried re-indexing, upgrading to version 3.0.7.1683 and going to the C drive "C:\Users\<user>\AppData\Local\Red Gate" and deleting the "SQL Search" folder. None of these items have fixed the issue.

I have stopped using the SQL Search because it is so unreliable. I have had 2 instances of SSMS open and did the same search in each instance of "SQL Search" in which different results were returned. Also, SQL Search sometimes returns items that do not contain the item that I am searching on.

"SQL Search" has been a valuable tool in our company and we do purchase some products from Redgate. We hope to see a resolution on this item soon. Let me know if we can help.
  • alphonsegalphonseg Posts: 34 Silver 1
    For me, re-indexing seems to work. Thing is, one can no longer be sure of the results. Wastes a lot of time.
  • We're currently looking into this problem but in the mean time, I'd suggest rolling back to version 3.0.4 if you're affected. You can download it here.
    Software Engineer
    Redgate Software
  • Installed version 3.0.4. So far so good!

Thanks.
  • kalokalo Posts: 82 Bronze 5
    edited February 1, 2018 3:20PM
    I have been having the same issue for some time now, where SQL Search either gives no results , even though i can plainly see the object in the object browser , or gives random bogus results that have no mention of the search term, Some times opening and closing SQL Search fixes it, sometimes giving it a kick to re-index will work, but never works first go and seems almost rare that it works on a retry.

Have just installed 3.0.4 from the link above and now getting Add-in errors, resulting in SQL Source Control disappearing from SSMS for me.

p4i6kbg4dh5a.png

s7cnmpv9x7z5.png

Wow - this is a nightmare i've entered now. Following the forum post to try and get all my toolbelt back but it's not playing ball at all.

https://forum.red-gate.com/discussion/82114/the-add-in-ssms-integration-pack-framework-failed-to-load-or-caused-an-exception

Fingers crossed i don't lose Tab History during all this

... so after all that , i've followed the above fix which has given me back my add-ins , so now back on SQL Search 3.0.7 which doesn't work.