Switching "warm" server to active

summermsummerm Posts: 3
edited January 24, 2007 12:50PM in SQL Backup Previous Versions
I’m currently testing SQL Backup Pro under the 14 day trial period on two SQL 2000 standard servers. I’ve been able to successfully use the log-shipping functionality. However, I have one problem I have been unable to resolve:

How do I change the status of the destination database from loading to being on-line and accessible? I understand that I can apply the last known good backup and change the option during a restore to “leave database operational”. However, if this were a real-world scenario and the primary server suffered a major hardware failure, the last transaction log backup may have already been shipped to the backup server and would have been applied with the “non-operational” option. In this case, with no more transaction log backups to apply, how do I make the database on the secondary server accessible?

Comments

• peteypetey Posts: 2,358 New member
    Run the following:

RESTORE DATABASE <database name> WITH RECOVERY
    Peter Yeoh
    SQL Backup Consultant Developer
    Associate, Yohz Software
    Beyond compression - SQL Backup goodies under the hood, updated for version 8
  • petey wrote:
    Run the following:

RESTORE DATABASE <database name> WITH RECOVERY

Thanks for the reply.

Will this statement restore the entire database again, or will it just switch the mode from standby to live?
  • The command Peter provided will change the database from the "loading" state to the "live" state without any subsequent restores - the database will be made available (and start processing requests) in the state the log shipping wizard left it.

Jason