Problem importing new styles

ata0ata0 Posts: 4 New member
The support information says that when importing a new formatting style you should import a file ending in *.sqlpromptstyle. But when I try to import and go to the V2 folder on my local drive where styles are stored, I can only import a file ending in *.settings. More precisely it wants a file called prompt.settings. Help! I need to import a format style and cannot. When I import the prompt.settings I have, the format style remains unchanged.
Tagged:

Answers

• Hi @ata0 thank you for your post!

The documentation you've posted seems to be just for importing overall Prompt settings, not just formatting styles.

The correct way to grab a Prompt style out of an existing folder in v9 would be to go to SQL Prompt > Edit Formatting Styles in SSMS and use the [...] to select the correct folder with the styles in OR copy and paste the SQL Prompt style file into this same StylesV2 folder.

Let me know if this solves your issue!
  • ata0ata0 Posts: 4 New member
    Thanks dOCTOClone. I figured that out. But no matter what I do, the Style is not being recognized. I've upgraded to version 9 and saved the file as sqlpromptstyle and sqlpromptstyleV2. I've even put them in every possible folder and version of sql prompt. See attached image. Any other thoughts are appreciated. Thanks!

1qocx96xa1ke.png
  • Hi @ata0 thank you for coming back on this - interestingly in the screenshot, it looks as though the directory the file explorer is pointing at is "...\AppData\Local\Red Gate\" even though it says it is in StylesV2.

What happens when you leave the files as they are and using the [...] button navigate to "...\AppData\Local\Red Gate\" and hit "Ok"? Even if the files aren't being found in the explorer they should be picked up!

b5s6yfcde5dc.png
  • (Also even though I'm using Prompt 8 it should be the same!)
  • Arsen01Arsen01 Posts: 3 New member
    hi all, my name is Arsen)) I am a new member here )) thanks for your post , nice to meet you all here, in this web site
  • ata0ata0 Posts: 4 New member
    dOCTOClone, no matter where I access my style from it will not show up.
    This Ticket has been deleted from Zendesk
  • MrRiggerMrRigger Posts: 3 New member
    Has anyone found the solution yet?  I have a new machine with version 9.1.4.4532 and the old machine was at version 7.1.0.315.  Any help would be greatly apprecated.  I have tried manually to get everything to align up but doesn't help my team mates and I are formatting different and makes it difficult to do code reviews.
  • RichardLRichardL Posts: 417 Gold 4
    Hi @MrRigger

Thanks for your post. 

This looks like something a support engineer can investigate for you. If you have a support contract on your serial key then please do send us a ticket .

Kind regards

Richard Lynch. 
    Customer Support
    Redgate Software
    LOL Richard, its a BUG with the new version because Styles has moved around and XML document isn't the same.  After researching and reading many fourms I am guessing this isn't the first time someone has reported this issue.  Pretty easy to duplicate for sure - why not just post the resolution here?
    HI @MrRigger

Thanks very much for your reply. 

It was intended to let you know that you can get help here from the community but a support ticket is the official channel for sending us issues you might have. 

I would also suggest that you can put the styles there on version 7 and then upgrade to V9 as an option to get around this. 

I hope this is helpful. 

Warm regards

Richard. 
    Customer Support
    Redgate Software
    Also, older versions like V7 of Prompt can be downloaded in the link below. 

https://www.red-gate.com/products/old-versions
    Customer Support
    Redgate Software
    Thank you Richard for your assistance.  It's a new machine so I'm not going to install a lower version, but will upgrade my old machine and then take the file over to the new machine as the work-around.  It would be really nice if the development team put out a parser to reformat the XML between versions as its available in the upgrade to new version instead. 
    That's no problem @MrRigger

Also, feel free to make any feature suggestions for future releases on our SQL Prompt Uservoice page in the link below. 

https://redgate.uservoice.com/forums/94413-sql-prompt

Have a good weekend. 

Richard. 
    Customer Support
    Redgate Software
  • arabaeyarabaey Posts: 1 New member

This might not always be relevant, but if you are importing a .sqlpromptstylev2 file from another computer and can't see it after setting it into the correct folder, the file might be blocked by windows as a security measure, just right click the styles file and go into properties and unblock it.

After that restart SSMS and it should appear.
  • garethpgarethp Posts: 1 New member
    arabaey said:

This might not always be relevant, but if you are importing a .sqlpromptstylev2 file from another computer and can't see it after setting it into the correct folder, the file might be blocked by windows as a security measure, just right click the styles file and go into properties and unblock it.

After that restart SSMS and it should appear.
    This solution worked for me, thank you.